Author Topic: Tiller Check Please!  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

Tiller Check Please!
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:37:31 am »
Hey all,

I was wondering if I could get a quick tiller check.  I see now that I have a stiff tip but any other suggestions?  Bow is 62" tip to tip and target weight is 40 lbs.  The tips are slightly flipped.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Tiller Check Please!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:28:14 am »
It's looking good to me so far, but you might want to grip the bow a little bit lower on the handle and draw the string back from around where the arrow is going to be nocked, that should give you a better idea of where to scrape next on it.  But from the way you are drawing it I'd say it is looking pretty good so far.  :)  What are the dimensions of that bow? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:03:26 am »
Looks good, but if I turn my head and look sideways, I'd say there's maybe the slightest hint of a weaker spot, top limb, about 1.5 hand widths above the fade?
I'd just pencil mark it to avoid any chance of removing anything at that point. It's certainly not a problem area and may just be my wonky eyesight.
Del
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:14:11 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:42:46 am »
Looks pretty good but will you post a braced and unbraced pic too?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 12:50:50 pm »
Keep in mind that I am only a beginner, but it looks as though the limb adjacent to the top fade is a bit stiff.  Also, your draw location might be throwing things off a bit.

I've added an ellipse and alignment lines.  I tried my best to get your bow rotated level before adding the ellipse, but it might still be a bit off.

as I said, I'm a beginner and I have added this photo to generate some conversation.

Cheers,
J

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:13 pm »
Like PatB said...We really need to see what it looks like Unbraced...and see all of the Ginks...and waves in the Wood...which will change the looks of Final Tiller....I should have never started the first Posts with the Elipses....huh Pat....... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:54:14 pm »
For me, using the ellipse is a good reference to check if what I think I see, I am actually seeing....clear as mud?  As you said before, using the ellipse does not mean that the bowyer can forget all about good technique and developing an eye for things.

It wasn't my intent to cause confusion - if you think the ellipse is deceiving in this case and if you think it's necessary, let me know and I'll remove my post.

Jaye
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
LOL well...I asked my girl friend to take the picture last night about 11 oclock and she wasn't really in the mood.  Needless to say, I didn't have much time to really focus on where my hand was or how I was drawing the bow.  At any rate, I was able to get everything worked out this morning and my final draw weight was 35# at 25 inches.  Hopefully this will make a very happy 13 year old.

I was able to scrap the bow out of stave that my cousin had worked on in about 1998.  It started off at 68" ntn and about 15 pounds.  It's a beautiful piece of Osage, fairly straight with amazing growth rings.  I happy I could make a bow out of this stave and make a bow for my little cousin.  This was the first time I have flipped the tips and I feel like it smooths out the draw a bit. 

Thanks for all the responses!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
Looks good but the top limb 10 or so in. from the tip could use a few scrapes. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:21 am »
Well if ur just starting out ur doing good so far!  Most beginners I see when tillering their bows have one limb usually out of whack...It appears fine but kinda agree with Del about the upper limb looks to have a weak spot... My 2 pennies!!! ::)

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill