Author Topic: My brand new bow is broken :(  (Read 9501 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: My brand new bow is broken :(
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 12:14:16 am »
I've used that kind of splice many times on core laminations, and it is fine as long as it is sandwiched between continous laminations on the back and belly. Without the overlay on your bow, however, that splice will fail.
Gordon

Far East Archer

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:55 am »
Agree with others comments.

This is very easy fix, dont send back.
If I see this before it break I would have known this problem is inevitable, its very clear in design.
Im slightly surprised to see uneven taper on overlay.

Just need take overlay off careful and then clean the glass with sand paper on block to keep flat surface.
Shorten overlay by 5 cm both side then clean bottom with sandpaper on block.
Now taper both end of overlay so it blends smoothly to nothing.
When glue back on use an epoxy.

I would not worry though, it seems its just a aesthetics part of this bow, you could take off and still shoot fine.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »
Well so much has been said, that is helpful. I have done it and had it done too me. I build bows for a living. I am one of those fools that follows his passions,I guess. The glue you must use is smooth on. Not cheap either and needs a heat lamp.I would shorten the fades and taper or add a thin pc of wood to the bottom of handle to absorb the shock of the flex. Most handles pop, because of no rise in the handle area,( if it is a composite bow). I incorporate that when I build the bow.Yes I think your bowyer would make it right. If you choose to repair, ask him to send you some glue , warm the handle area with a hair dryer,  and finish pulling the handle off.Don't force. Sand the bottom and ruff up the surface to be glued. glue both surfaces to be glued. Now wrap with saran wrap tightly.Put under a heat lamp, not too close and let hard.I wouldn't think wrapping the handle after it drys, I wouldn't reinforce with anything,  as of the contour of the handle. The glue should hold. As to the design, My guess is when you unstrung the bow you accidentally pushed back ward against the handle forcing the bow to go opposite direction in order to relieve the string follow?This would start the process of de-lamination.However the shock of the shooting the bow could do the same.  The laminated splice is quite commonly used. It shouldn't cause you a problem . With out the bow in hand that is the best I can do. Good Luck Denny

Offline wodpow

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »
The bow should of been made at the poundage you wanted at your draw length I have made high poundage bows that didn't have enough handle wood before anything was glued on to strengthen the handle and popping the glued on handle was always a problem. I would want a new bow the patch up thing shouldn't be a alt.reglued and silk wrapped would hold but the handle shouldn't of been flexing sounds like a design flaw to me.  To much poundage to little handle I would send it back if I were you

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 03:40:19 am »
Everything has already been mentioned I agree an easy fix sometimes when u glue things up in areas that have flex and u dont have good coverage it wil do that A strong epoxy will do the trick!

AA
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:44:45 am by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill