Author Topic: Maximum Draw length question  (Read 1933 times)

orcbow

Maximum Draw length question
« on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:32 am »
Hi Fellow Bowmakers...

I am working on a short osage bow for a friend, its one of my last precious staves of the stuff from the ol' family farm. The bow is short, 46 inches NTN. What should I expect the max. draw length to be? The bow will be a "no-stiff-handle" type, is that a C shape or a D?

Thanks-
Adam

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Maximum Draw length question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:43:25 am »
Oh! Me sir, me sir! I know this....pull it back until it breaks, and it's an inch less than that! :o >:D
But seriously, if you take the working length of the longest limb, that should be safe (or half the bow length with the 'no stiff handle')
My 50" Ash Cherry bow smashed just short of 25" but was shooting fine at 24", I'd expect a 1" safety margin as a minimum.
I've just measured that bow, the working length of the longest limb was 22". The Ash back failed in tension, there was a bad spot in the glue up too.
I've not used Osage, so I could be talking out of my nether regions. :-[
Hope that helps.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:21:43 am »
 you should be able to get 22 or 23,need to watch the string angle for sure,be sure the string won't slip off the nock.I usually flip the tips a little on one that short to help prevent that. If it is good Osage it should take that.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

orcbow

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:41 am »
Okay Thanks Del and Pappy..you are in agreement. 22 inches would be fine. I'll watch the string angle too.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:42 am »
@Del - "pull it back until it breaks, and it's an inch less than that!"--- that made me laugh out loud. Twice!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.