Author Topic: Thank you to SailorDad  (Read 4156 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Thank you to SailorDad
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »
Dan, yes and no
some i did,some i still have only cause i havent been bending much wood for the last year.
got the knapping bug but i am getting back into the bows again.i have that one piece i got from you
dont know if its hick or hhb,you had it started kind of. it has some charatcer in it,whoopde doos and snakeiness
i have been working on that on off and on for about a year.got it at floor tiller and i am stcuk,never worked a piece with this much character
cant say right now if i like em or not  :-\
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:06:23 am »
that was hhb.
45# at 27"

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:37 am »
wel Nathan came over again yesterday(hes such a nice guy,nice having him over we seem to get along quit well)
we managed to finish tillering that stick of his,oh excuse me i meant to say we finished tillering his BOW.
thats what it is a bow.
we got it pulling 28" and 53#.if i remember right its 68" ttt
he wasnt real sure of his draw length so we checked it and hes pulling 26.5".but i figured we better tiller it out to 28" to be safe.
he shaped the handle area to fit the feel in his hand that he likes.i did the nocks for him.
all thats left is final sanding to get rid of tool marks and to put a finish on it.oh and a floppy rest too,minor things.
he did put an arrow thru it and s did i.man can that thing spit them hard.
it spits them out with some real authority,if he decides to hunt with it the critters better look out.
its fast, accurate and like i said it hits hard.
i know it looks a little stiff out of the fades,however acording to my "gizmo" it is bending there on both limbs.the gap is pretty even all the way
thru the limbs according to the "gizmo"
well heres a pic or two for you al to over analyze  ;D
let us know what ya'll think

all in all i think for his first bow he did quit well,i believe hes on his way to our addiction now.
i think he should make and appt with the Dr. as soon as possible  ;)

thanks for looking
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »
Looks really Good Tim...but as you stated it does look a bit stiff out of the Fades...and a Gizmo will give false reading in there where the Transition from Fades to Limb occurs....I myself would work them a bit more...but there is nothing wrong with just leaving it either...the Bow seems to be bending nicely everywhere else...what about some closeups of the Handle and Tips...when it's done?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 01:29:01 pm »
The fades may be a bit stiff, but she is a smooth shooter, and as Tim said, it has some authority.  I am very happy with how this bow has turned out.  I can't wait to finish it up, and really but some arrows through it.  In the next week or two, I will be getting all of the sanding done, and then we will get the finish on it, the arrow rest, and we will be good to go.  We will get the pictures up when we have the bow finished.

Thanks Tim!
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »
Fades on both limbs look stiff and upper limb not moving in outer 3rd,but if it aint broke dont fix it. Congratulations. Nice of SailorDad to help a guy out. Take that baby hunting, its a real thrill to take game of any kind with something you crafted yourself.
N2
Genesis 27: 3

bowkee

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »
Looks Good, This old kid like learnin from this.

Offline John K

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:13 pm »
Good job ! What N2 said !!
The only way to fail is to never start !