Author Topic: 120# Elm Warbow  (Read 31694 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: 120# Elm Warbow
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:09 am »
Hi all,

In my ideal world the following conversation would have taken place:

MSL: Hi, here is my new bow! Any comments?
ROD: Nice tiller, but have you ever considered making the top nock more flush with the bow limb? I know that many archers, including myself, have had trouble stringing heavier bows if the top nock isn't flush with the limb.
MSL: Hi Rod, thank you for your comment, but nope. I havn't thought of this before, but I see your point! Good idea! Do you have any examples to show me?
ROD: Yes several, but unfortunately none that I may take any credit for. Here are some pics...

But I do admit that I find the current thread more exciting...

Cheers,
Ola

:)

Rod has never been accused of being tactful.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

DCM4

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 04:14:18 pm »
"Rod has never been accused of being tactful."

I met Rod at MoJam that year, although I'd "known" him from the internet much longer.  Had dinner with him.  Enjoyed his company.

I would not judge Rod as being overly tactful.  LOL  Neither would I judge him to be malicious in intent, or unusually conceded in consideration of his own standing in any area.  Similarly, I'd not judge Marc to be overly sensitive to criticism, or particularly subject to the winds and whims of popularity or conformity.  These traits I admire in both of you.  Not that my opinion matters, other than it's complimentary.   ;-)

And I should note that you both served as mentors of a sort to me as I was coming along in the craft, and have achieved some measure of proficieny as a consequence.  Which is why I find this so perplexing, and have in the past.  I think it's a darn shame ya'll have gotten cross-wise.  Been that way for lots of years.  Have seen this exchange, or one like it, here before.

Marc, as always I love to see elm wood bend perty like you make it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 07:42:25 pm »
 This Thread started out real good, but now it's starting to really look embarrassing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:18 pm »
Mark, Rod,  and EVERONE ELSE,

I learn so much from our family here at PA. I am almost ashamed to see this bickering from the people that I personally admire and lookup to.
You all have been so very patient with my newby questions.
Havin a hard time understanding the feud.

Almost makes me leery about posting my first.

Go back to what y'all do best, that's shaving wood, and GET ALONG...

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 10:36:46 am »
Ron
By all means do post pictures.  Not everyone is as critical as Rod

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 02:02:52 pm »

You have done well to make a 120lb elm bow - I know how difficult it is to get whitewood to withstand heavy draw weights

skerm

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 04:25:48 am »
Probably because that is not a notch

It looked like one to me in the pictures. I had a small piece of horn chip out when filing once and it looked similar. Nevermind.

In addition to what Alan said, is there a specific reason for choosing the rather short length of 74"?

Daniel

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 06:47:30 am »
Ron

Marc St Louis
Actually, I'm close to doing the final few fine sandings on my 2nd attempt on a red oak BB. i am really excited, But having some probs with tiller.
I will waite till It's finished then see what kind of responce I get. I can take criticism easily ( tough skin) ;), but don't like being berated. Heck, I laugh at myself all the time. ;D

Thanks for answering.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 08:21:19 am »
Probably because that is not a notch

It looked like one to me in the pictures. I had a small piece of horn chip out when filing once and it looked similar. Nevermind.

In addition to what Alan said, is there a specific reason for choosing the rather short length of 74"?

Daniel

I wouldn't have put a horn nock on with a chip in it.

That 74" is a N to N measurement, the overall length is 76".  Elm is strong in tension, it can take being made shorter

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 08:40:04 am »
Ron

Marc St Louis
Actually, I'm close to doing the final few fine sandings on my 2nd attempt on a red oak BB. i am really excited, But having some probs with tiller.
I will waite till It's finished then see what kind of responce I get. I can take criticism easily ( tough skin) ;), but don't like being berated. Heck, I laugh at myself all the time. ;D

Thanks for answering.

Ron

Ron
You are no different than most everyone else, myself included

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:41 am »
I post about I like someones bow to reading a soap opera Im starting to feel like there are getting too many opinions on this forum and not enough  apraisals.  To each their own I guess.  Have a good day otherwise.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill