Author Topic: Moisture meter for staves  (Read 2054 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Moisture meter for staves
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:02:36 am »
 Just curious how many of you guys use a moisture meter to determine when your staves are ready to become bows. I'm starting to accumulate some staves but they're all pretty fresh cut and I want to know when I'll be able to start tillering them without having to weigh them for weeks on end until I get a stable weight. Also, it seems like a moisture meter would be a good idea for when you have to steam something. That way you could check it afterward to determine when it had dried enough to go back to tillering. Also, as far as meters go, any opinions on pinned versus pinless? It seems like with a pinned meter you could only use that on the belly wood for obvious reasons, but a pinless meter would allow you to take measurements on multiple areas of a stave without causing damage.

Offline sailordad

Re: Moisture meter for staves
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:52 am »
no meter for me
i usually leave green staves sit in the garage rafyers for 2 yrs before i touch them
and then if i tap them on the concrete floor and they dont make a hollow ringing soun,then they sit some more
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:45:34 am »
I don't use one either.  I let the stave sit in the garage for a year or so, then reduce it to a rough bow shape and let it sit for about a month before I start bending it.  I did just by a Relative Humidity gauge for the garage.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:17 am »
I bought a moisture meter years ago and never used it. I gave it to Justin Snyder in Utah so he could be sure his wood was not too dry!  ;D  Like Sailordad I go by sound and feel. That comes from experience. You can get your staves to floor tiller stage without harming them. They will dry faster this way too. If they are real fresh(at floor tiller stage) you should attach them to a form(2x4) to prevent warping.
  When you start working a stave and it begins to bend it should recover quickly and not be sluggish. If it starts to take set and you are not overpowering it it is still to wet. The more bows you build the easier it is to read the wood. Be sure to listen to what it has to say or it will bite you!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:45 am »
I use it all the time. Right down to the first stringing of the stave.  You can't beat it. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:41:37 am »
Got one but hardly ever use it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »
I got one but only used it a couple of times, it's a handy check if you are trying to season some timber quickly.
But experience soon takes over (much like the rest of bow making!)
Del
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:38:19 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
I live in a damp place, so I ot a pin meter, its good for staves but you dont want to keep putting holes in your bows and I dont see how the other type can give a good reading without getting under the surface? The surface readings are way lower than the inside, the deeper you push in the pins the higher the reading. But still I find it usefull, especially with seasoning green wood
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »
I got one....the Wife uses it to check Her House Plants.... ;D.....I always go go by sound and also I weigh them after I reduce them....and weekly after that....and when they quit losing weight....they are.dry enough to make a Bow...jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome