Author Topic: Can ya split Blue Beech?  (Read 1816 times)

Cacatch

Can ya split Blue Beech?
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:27:41 pm »
I got a log that's about 4 inches in diameter, with a little twist. I just cut it a week ago, and I'd like to split it in half so it would dry quicker. So my question is does it split ok and should I even do that this early?

Thanks

Offline michbowguy

Re: Can ya split Blue Beech?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:34:22 pm »
im fairly positive that it will twist on ys....4in is pretty small to split so early imho.
weigh the log every week until it quits "loosing" weight then split.
jamie

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:41:18 pm »

Blue beech,
                   very cool.I 've never heard of anyone else using it.
         I made one about 8 years ago and it was only about 45 inches long.
       It had the original bark on the back due to all the muscles being so hard to
       remove..Probably pulled about 35 to 40 pounds Ican't remember It was given away at a boys
      Puberty celebration. Good luck with it it's nice wood to work.
                                  J.B.

Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:56:37 am »
I gotta ask- a "boys puberty celebration" ??? 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:00:47 am »
Sorry for the long wait reply,
                                     friend of mine is Navajo and his son turned 13. I'm not native
             but since Three Hawk and I were good friends I gave his son a nice little bow.
            Nothin like a movie event just a big birthday with relatives and give aways...I guess it's
            a bit more than that but don't look for anything out of hollywood.   

How's that Blue Beech  treatin ya                  JB               
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »
I tried splitting it a few days ago, it wasn't too hard to split, but it twisted about 120 degrees  ::)   I think I can still get something out of it though, I'll just have to be creative. All I want to know now is - when does the stuff turn hard as iron? Right now it seems softer than hickory. And I am 100% positive it is blue beech. No question there. And I know it's still not dry at all, but it will have to do some serious hardening before I'd even call it as hard as Hedge. Right now it seems to have the hardness of Ash.