Author Topic: To Sleeve or not to Sleeve  (Read 2754 times)

Stringman

To Sleeve or not to Sleeve
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
Ok, I searched, but didn't look hard. I was trying to find a good pattern for a buckskin shirt. I ended up just cutting up a long sleeve pull over I had laying around and using it. I was afraid that the shirt was gonna be too small, but it turned out about right. I used black silk thread for the sew up (all hand stitched.) And I'm not sure of the authenticity of it, but it is sure comfortable. Now I wonder if I should add sleeves or not. What do you think? Also, is there anything I should do to keep it from being ruined in the rain? I brain tanned the (whitetail) hides this winter and they have been smoked.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cracker

Re: To Sleeve or not to Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »
Personally I like it like it the way it is for now, winter may be a different story. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:57:55 am »
down here i cut the sleves out of everything anyway. how many skins is that? two?
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:49:50 pm »
Quote from: recurve shooter link=topic=18933.msg262994#msg262994 datejavascript:void(0);=1270818523
down here i cut the sleves out of everything anyway. how many skins is that? two?

...that's what I do too but it gets really hot and humid in AL in the summer.  Maybe sew some on in the fall?   :)  That's what I would do if it were mine.  Looks great  by the way, you did a really good job on it.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »
Use buckskin thongs and lace on sleeves as needed.  Then you can remove when summer comes around.

Don
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:22:44 pm »
Yes, Recurve, it is two, but there was quite a bit of scrap left over. Also, the back came from a big old buck hide and the front from a doe. So there is a little difference in the weight of the thing from front to back. Just kinda have to keep tuggin on the front to keep it in place.

You guys might have something with the whole lace on sleeves idea. I could go ahead and make them up now and lace them on as needed.

Does anyone do any water proofing to brain-tanned deer hide. My source says you don't need to, but I would hate to ruin it after all the work?!?

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:45:33 pm »
If it's been smoked you don't need to worry. 

Don
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »
Great looking shirt. I just finished a buckskin shirt, and will post pics sometime soon. I opted to sew on sleeves, as I burn easily and already had skin cancer once, so I'd rather skip that. I also reenforced the neck opening. I think the shirts should be a bit loose, so you can stuff them with dried grass or some other insulation material in cold weather.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts