Author Topic: Maple bending methods - Advice Needed !!!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline barebo

Maple bending methods - Advice Needed !!!
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:08:24 pm »
I have a really nice Hard Maple all roughed out. It has close to 3" of natural reflex. The upper limb has about 20 degrees of twist.
I really wanted to make a recurve - my first, but wonder if boiling the tips would straighten out the twist after being clamped in the form ?? Would it be better / safer to just use dry heat, and flip the tips a few inches, and straighten the twist and call it good??
I know that recurves need near perfect string alignment, and this one is enough out of whack that I don't know if it's worth ruining a really nice stave for a maybe. What do you think ??? It's 69" overall.

Offline Barrage

Re: Maple bending methods - Advice Needed !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:11:40 pm »
I've done a lot of steaming on hard maple with good success.  Dry heat will work too, although if it's a more severe bend I would stick with steam.

Dry heat will work really well for adjusting your string alignment.
Travis

Offline bambule

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »
Yeah, like Barrage said. Maple is nice for heat treating but recurves better with steam. A little flipped tips could be done with dry heat but real recurves not - the wood will break.
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline barebo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »
Thanks guys - I think that I'll resist my "recurve urge" and just flip the tips a bit. I think it's just not a true enough stave for a 'curve.