Author Topic: jute fibers  (Read 1742 times)

Offline luke the drifter

jute fibers
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:56:42 pm »
i am going to try jute fibers as a backing for a bow.  my bow weight that i am trying for is around 40 to 50 lbs.  will these fibers hold up under that tension?  i read on one of the topics concerning jute fibers that one could comb out long strands of jute fibers and apply them much like sinew.  that is the route  i am going to try with this bow just to see how it comes out.  what about yucca plant fibers?  will they work?

Offline sonny

Re: jute fibers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:28:48 pm »
it's likely that any plant fiber will help hold together a bow that's not terribly overstressed.
is there some reason to back the bow ?? are you concerned about ring violations for instance ??

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline luke the drifter

Re: jute fibers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »
sonny,

this is a board cut piece of osage orange.  the rings are fair when running horizontal the board.  it needs to be backed.  i am jsut wanting to try something other than sinew and hide glue.  i tried sheet rock tape on a bow once.  it was alright but i for some reason did not like the look of it.    some of the rings sort of run off to the side.  sinew is hard for me to come by and is rather expensive shopping it online.  are jute fibers long in nature?

w.h.d.