Author Topic: who hunts with a blowgun?  (Read 8280 times)

Offline recurve shooter

who hunts with a blowgun?
« on: April 25, 2010, 12:11:58 am »
i know blowguns have been mentioned a few times on the forum, but id like to know who all hunts with them and what you killed. some info on your pipe would be nice, pics better if you can. the reason i bring this up is because me and Ian were at islandpiper's boat builders rendezvous toady and one of the builders had his gun there, and after playing with it we went home and made ours. Ian has a Cold Steel big bore which is a little bigger than a half inch, and i quickly made up a little six and a half foot one out of electrical conduit, and few darts out of dowels, and i just made us up some broadhead darts out of some scrap steel and dowels. when i was a kid i Had a homemade one like the one i just made and i killed a few birds with it, but nothing really worth mentioning. i love these things cuz they are easy as heck to make, and the darts are easy so its no biggie when i break or lose one, which happens alot lol. so yeah lets see or hear about em guys if your into it.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:18:15 am by recurve shooter »
lets just shoot it

Offline Dane

Re: who hunts with a blowgun?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:31 am »
I slayed a mighty black widow spider with mine. :) No, I really did. I had one of those aluminum ones with the darts made out of plastic beads with piano wire for the dart body. The thing was a ton of fun, and super easy to learn to use, but as for hunting, I think I read that people who used the things to hunt game used poison. That includes hunting people. 

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »
yeah those little ones are fun but kinda usless. the big half inch ones can shoot big heavy darts with wide sharp steel points, and i assume they would be pretty deadly on birds of any kind, squirrels, and with the right shot placement, rabbits. i thought there would be more guys interested in this lol.
lets just shoot it

Online Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:16 pm »
We used to make them from 1/2" electrical tubing, the darts were about 6" of coathanger steel with gause and tape for a seal. Killed many pigeons shooting up into the palm trees where they hung out. Not much power to them for anyhting larger than birds and probably better suited for poison tips. Steve

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:19 am »
hopefully hillbilly or barry will chime in on this one.  i've seen some of their cherokee type blowguns made out of cane. 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:12:13 am »
hopefully hillbilly or barry will chime in on this one.  i've seen some of their cherokee type blowguns made out of cane. 

i would like to make one like that one day, but i have no clue how to hollow the cane out. ??? i think with this big electrical tubeing i could make a dart that would take a rabbit. the pipe is a half inch, so i have room for one heck of a broadhead dart.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:54 am »
Recurve, you just knock the joints out while it's green, or burn them out with a hot piece of metal. You can make a rasp to smooth the inside by taking a piece of tin from a can, punching it full of nail holes, then fastening it around a stick a little smaller than the bore diameter. Finish smoothing it with sandpaper around a stick, and every time you shoot a dart, it'll keep polishing the inside. The Cherokee blowguns are usually about 1/2"-3/4" bore size, and 5-8 feet long. With a split hardwood dart about a foot long, they'll kill birds, rabbits, and squirrels if you hit 'em right. We use bamboo skewers for darts, too, fletched with thistle down. I've seen some Cherokee guys on the Qualla Boundary here that are dead-eye accurate with them. I need to make me another blowgun. Don't have one at the moment, but I've got a couple good pieces of blowgun-sized cane somewhere out in the pile of stuff in my messy shop.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »
http://www.sportsfukiya.net/

Check this out. In Japan, the blowgun is a popular sport, and there is a push from various countries to include the blowgun in Olympic competition. One photo on that website shows a guy with an optical scope mounted on his gun. Bet there is a division between traditional and primitive blowguns and modern ones, just as we have wheelie bows vs. self bows.

The blowgun was also a Ninja weapon. On The Deadliest Warrior (silly fun show), the Ninja had this tiny little bamboo blowgun he killed his enemy with by shooting a poisoned dart into his neck. The eyes would be a good target, too for killing with poison or disabling / harassing the enemy.

The things are illegal in Massachusetts and one or two other states (England, too), which is too bad, as I would like to make one and play with it.

Steve, I've read in one of the primitive technology bullitins that they split the cane in half, smooth the interior, then glue to cane together again. Not sure as I havent done it before, but it makes sense.

Dane

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:45 pm »
I don't know about owning one, but definately hunting with one is illegal where I live. Using any sort of poison to hunt with is illegal, and should be. I'll take a bow or rifle anyday.  ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:29:52 am »

Recurve, I used to hunt rats with one, at a friends dairy.  We used a six foot piece of copper tubing, thick stainless spring wire, we got at a hobby shop, and plastic golf tees.  It isn't the bore diameter, so much as the length.  The longer it is , the more velocity you get.  When I worked as an electrician's helper, we would shoot wire nuts at each other through ten foot pieces of EMT, (electrical metal tubing), and let me tell you when you can knock a big dent in a metal stud, and warp it a bit, it leaves a big welt!  We would take fresh cement, and pack it into a short section of pipe, and wait for it to almost dry, and then gently push it out, and then break it off into about 1 inch sections,  then when it was dry, we would put it back in the longer piece, and shoot the plumbers, at another building, and they would start cussing the plasterers, and then we would take plumbing putty, and whack a plasterer, and they would start cussing the plumbers.  They never did catch on it was us.  But we were consistently hitting them from the third story, down to the first floor, of a building, on the other side of the court yard.  You can send a piece of that cement out of sight.  When it hits, it hits with authority.  So go with a minimum of six feet, but prefferably 8-10 ft.  You don't need poison to kill grouse, squirrels, rabbits etc.  It you get good enough, shoot a turkey, in the head.  The Indians did.  They were exceptionally accurate with them.  We would flatten out the wire, and file and grind them into broad heads, and then hone the edges to a very sharp edge.  Did a number on rats.  The beams of the barn, where the feed was stored, looked like they had christmas decorations.   ;D  When I get to Montana, and get settled, I am going to make a Cherokee style blow gun.  Made one a long time ago, and it worked well.  I used a small eighth inch thick dowel, about 12 inches long or so, and deer fur for the seal.  You can use thistle like Hillbilly said.  The Indians would gather them, and pick the bulbs, green, and place them in a split stick, and tie the end, and wait for the thistle to dry, and then pick out the thistle, and then the seeds, and line the thistle up in the palm of one hand, and then with thread stuck in a small split in the end of the dart shaft, and the other end of the string in their mouth, they would push the shaft, into the thistle, and and upwards, twisting the shaft, and winding the thistle around the shaft in a spiral mode, then they would tie the string off after using a small loop, to put the tag end of the string into, and then pull the loop, and bury the tag end of string in the wrap.  Then they would stick the dart into the end of the blow gun, pushed down a little ways, and trim off the excess thistle, and then they would all be the same.  I got some bamboo from a friend of mine, to make some.  I want to make one for my Chiropractor in Montana.  He hunts grouse with a single shot shotgun.  I told him I plan to hunt them with a blow gun, and he got very interested in that, so I told him I would make him one.  I have a lot of thistle around my shop.  My dart wrapping was not the greatest looking, but it performed very well.  Yeah, I have also read where they would split the bamboo, or cane, and knock out the nodes, and then smooth and polish the insides, and then glue and wrap the two pieces of tube.Recurve, by the way.......spell check is free on here. ;D  If you are going to try for college, you better get your spelling down....... ;)  Trust me, they look for that, on entrance exams.  Not only in college, but in interviews, and job applications.  Ya know whut  I mean Vern?

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:09 am »
cool thanks for the info guys. and yeah i know my spelling sucks. its kinda ironic, in school writing is one of my strong points, i mean i can put essays togeather very well, i can write short storeys, poetry, whatever i have to do, but my spelling and handwriting sucks. microsoft word has saved my butt more that once lol.  ::)
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »
  Hey,hey,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 07:00:54 am »
cool thanks for the info guys. and yeah i know my spelling sucks. its kinda ironic, in school writing is one of my strong points, i mean i can put essays togeather very well, i can write short storeys, poetry, whatever i have to do, but my spelling and handwriting sucks. microsoft word has saved my butt more that once lol.  ::)

In the old days, I recall writing a term paper in high school using my mom's IBM Selectric and a ream of typing paper. I couldn't spell to save my life, and my typing skills were not good, so one mistake and I had to tear out the page and start over. It took many hours. That's the way it was, and we liked it :)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:09 am »
now that must have been miserable.  ::)
lets just shoot it