Author Topic: Made some shafts found a lucky source of cedar!  (Read 2390 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Made some shafts found a lucky source of cedar!
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »
Hi guys I had a day off and decided to go and find some wood for staves and to make some arrow shafts!  I went to my uncles property to discover about a hundred 16ft long 3" cedar planks!  SO of course I took one and sawed it up into 3ft pieces and came back and made shafts with them!  I also hand split some nice seasoned ash logs and used my planer and table saw to produce a few decent shafts!  When I get up Im making some flu flus along with a few good hunting arrows equipped with my own knapped heads.  Turkey seasons coming and I cant wait I just made another new bow and need to put it all to the test!  Thanks guys for taking the time to read and look at my MESS TER PIECE!!!

GUTEN TAG

AncientArcher

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

half eye

Re: Made some shafts found a lucky source of cedar!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »
Well, ya wont get hurt for lack of shootin back, eh?  :D With a couple of boys it's good to have some "extras" ;D
Rich

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:52 pm »
Looks like you got plenty of bullets.!!! But I would take the twist out of the bundle of shafts.. ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »
Way to go! That was productive.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »
Nice!  Is that northern white cedar?  Man, I'd love to get my hands on that wood.  That stuff carves like butter.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 12:17:48 am »
I didnt put a dent in the amount of materials I had got yesterday!  I made 2 dozen shafts.  Oh thanks I didnt realie that I bundled them in a twist thanks KnightD...Yeah the cedar does carve like butter!  Thanks guys for looking I made a few flu flus I'll post them here shortly!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline scattershot

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:03:13 am »
Nice job! What kind of spine range did you end up with for the raw shafts?
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:55:26 am »
Spine range 47-50lbs. but I can run them through a compression block and up them a bit too but they were just a test to see how well they would come out. My Uncle had got these giant colums from a big plantation house so he has plenty at least a hundred planks.  If they work out I'll return for more!

Russell

Offline scattershot

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »
Thanks, I was wondering what the range would be if the blanks came from the same board. Sounds like they are ideally matched.

Good shooting!
Gene
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:25:12 pm »
I have had a few snap where there were a knot and also a few were dry rotted by I cut most of that out the only remaining waste came from the tongue and groove I cut off!  Worked great otherwise I might have to make another run in a few days!

AA