Author Topic: Tuning arrows  (Read 2399 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Tuning arrows
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:45:47 pm »
Hi all.  Just got my first longbow bow in the mail today, so I went out to shoot it for the first time.  Since I'm poor, lol, I'm using old aluminum arrows I've had for years, originally used on an old 60lb compound bow.  The longbow I'm shooting now is about 37# @ 26."  These arrows, as I anticipated, are flying off the bow, fletchings left, then righting themselves as they hit the target.  Is there anything I can do to the arrows to give them a truer flight, or just enjoy them until I get some properly spined arrows?  Thanks!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Tuning arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:32:07 am »
Probably to heavy for the bow,other than adding some weight to the front there ant much you can
do,since you can't make them any longer.  :) Shoot and enjoy till you can get the right arrows. :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:03 am »
i might have a couple arrows i could send you so you dont have to shoot aluminum arrows!  they are shot at least 20 times, but they work!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:01:56 pm »
Thanks!  I'm trying my hand at making some arrows out of some poplar shafts, and the first one is working out pretty well, and is much stronger than I thought.  I'm having a heckuva time re-learning how to shoot :)

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »
I know just how you feel!!  Had to shoot my first stick bow with carbon arrows the first few days.  Couldn't pay me to use carbon with it now, although I do use them with my fg bows.  Just can't use anything but wood with the wood bows.  But, I'd agree.  Just shoot em and have fun till you can get well spined arrows.  Work on form and don't worry about where they hit. 

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:54:19 pm »
Just made myself some wood arrows out of 5/16 Poplar dowels from Lowes, and although they aren't very pretty, they fly great.  I have a question, though.  The aluminum arrows I'm also using that I talked about in the original post, is it dangerous for the bow to shoot arrows that are over spined?  I can see where a weak arrow could be bad, but I've never been sure about stronger ones. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:53 am »
No they just don't fly very well,as far as I know it won't hurt anything. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 10:18:14 am »
lol know the feeling. my first longbow with over spined carbon arrows and those tiny little one inch compound fletches. nightmare lol.
lets just shoot it

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:57:31 pm »
I started out shooting wood bows the same way - after busting the points/inserts, I JB welded  3" bolts in the tube (or anything that fits)  and stumped away!  Destroying 32''  aluminum shafts is fun. Break, re-point, repeat. ;D when I got wood arrows, I really appreciated how much better they flew.

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA