Author Topic: Cherokee bow/ PA Mag.  (Read 1511 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Cherokee bow/ PA Mag.
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »
The last PA magazine shows a Cherokee bow with string still attached to the lower nock.
The other end is not shown and appears to be broken, cut or missing. Does anyone know if the end is intact, if it is a flemish end or perhaps a knotted loop of some sort?
I am guessing its a broken end or it would have been shown.

P.S. and to the Editor, thanks for posting those pictures of the bows and arrows...Great Stuff!

Lyman Clark
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Cherokee bow/ PA Mag.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »
Lyman, don't know about that particular one, I couldn't tell from the pics. Billy may know more about that one.  Most of the examples of old Cherokee bowstrings I've seen had the loop either braided in or tied in with an overhand knot. Bear gut seems to have been the most common string material.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Cherokee bow/ PA Mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24:55 pm »
Now, I gots to go BEAR hunt'n....

Hillbilly, thanks for the info. I went to a craft store today and purchased a ball of "hemp" string that is about 1/8" thick and rated at 48# per strand. Made a nice 4 strand string for my hickory bow. Did an overhand loop for one end and tied the other as shown in the PA magazine. Seems to work well. I liked the hemp string, because hemp is not suppose to rot. It did not seem to stretch much which is a good thing also. Not sure how strong of a bow 4 strands will work on but I suppose thats why I'm still learning new stuff.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes