Author Topic: Z-Splice and arrow shelfs  (Read 2719 times)

Offline NTD

Z-Splice and arrow shelfs
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:12:19 pm »
I really like the arrow shelf cutout on my last BBI :-[  I'd like to do one on my BBO that I'm working on.  Can you do cutouts on a Z-spliced BB bow?  It will have a power lam, if that makes a difference.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Z-Splice and arrow shelfs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »
Why not add an arrow shelf to the side of your bow. That way you can make all cutaway areas smooth and less likely to be a weak spot on the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:08:55 pm »
Because after doing the cutout in this last bow, I REALLY like it ;D :-[  I have no problem doing and added shelf or a floppy.  I didn't think I'd like the cutout but after shooting this one I'm kind of digging it.  If it is risky for a z-splice I will do something else.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:36:19 pm »
If you incorporate the splice with the cut out you should be OK. You don't want to remove any more wood than possible from the splice though. Also keep the handle area good and stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
thanks Pat!
Nate Danforth

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:34:47 pm »
A shelf cutout isn't a problem with the spliced handles as long as you start with a good strong joint. Just remember, the center of you splice may or may not be the center of your bow depending on how far above center (of the bow) you place your shelf. I haven't done a splice yet that I cared to leave uncovered (without some type of grip material). ART

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »
It's a BBO, so the splice is covered with boo and the riser, you can just barely tell that it's spliced on the sides, so for aesthetics I shouldn't need a handle wrap. 
Nate Danforth

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »
You should be fine if your power lam is thick enough that it doesn't bend at all in the handle. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 09:32:37 pm »
I have done it before without a problem. Like Art said, if it is a good splice it will be fine. I don't like to leave the splice visible either, but there is a solution. I glued it together and had the center of the splice slightly below the center of the handle. This way when you move up 1 1/8" for the bottom of the shelf you are above the splice and it will be covered by the handle wrap.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah