Author Topic: Better than nothing  (Read 1976 times)

Lombard

Better than nothing
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:13:30 pm »
Pecked away at some rocks this morning, and made some broken rocks. ;D This is the only one that didn't break. Not great, but better than nothing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Better than nothing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »
 Nice point. Looks like you have some tough rock to peck away at.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »
Sometimes you have days like that.  It happens to everybody.  When I first started, I had a steep learning curve, I leveled out pretty quickly.  I think I went through about 5 buckets of rock and only had about three thick ,crude points to show for it.  I kept at it and one day it all came together.  My flakes got longer, my points got thinner.  I leveled out again.  I went throught a lot of rock and something clicked again.  My points were actually thin enough to use.  When you level out and don't seem to be improving, it gets very frustrating.  The more frustrated you are, the more you break.  I jokingly tell people it is very Zen to knap, you concentrat totally on what you are doing with your hands, you must also let your mind drift.  Ir's just like building a bow.  When everything comes together, you can make a point or a bow.  It becomes a pleasant and relaxing way to spend an hour or an afternoon.  Just hang in there, sooner or later, it will come together.  Bill

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:58:27 pm »
Beats working! Looks like a good point to me. Great advice Bill.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:48:49 pm »
Thanks guys. Bill that is some of that Coastal Plains Coral that you gave me. It's raining again, so I went out and worked on that English flint. So now that's two, not great points, but at least they didn't break. As yet to get one out of the Talhatta. Gotten close a few times and then disintegration. I will keep at, until I succeed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:30:10 pm »
nice work on that tough lookin stone. bill couldnt of said it better
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 09:56:23 pm »
Yup, good advice from Bill.. I used to use the word tonnage a lot but it doesn't really take that much ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.