Author Topic: Board bow dimensions  (Read 4885 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Board bow dimensions
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:17:41 pm »
After looking several times I finally found a red oak board at Home Depot that will be suitable for a bow.  This will be first attempt at a bow (unless you count the shoots with a string tied to each end I made as a kid), so I know it won't be perfect, but I'm gonna give it a try anyway.  I'm looking to end up with something in the 45lb. range, just wondering what rough dimensions others have used to get in that area.

Thanks.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Frode

Re: Board bow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »
Jonathon,
Best advice, check Jawge's site.  The address is at the top of the page in the How To's and Build-a-long's section.  That or Google "Bow building for poor people and apartment dwellers".
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline aero86

Re: Board bow dimensions
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:37:09 am »
After starting mine before christmas and JUST now finishing it, ill give you my dimensions, which jawge gave me, but I cut .75 inch off both ends cause my draw weight was a little low. Anyways, take board, find middle, mark 2 inches on either side of middle, that's ur handle. Then on the tips, make about 5/8 inch wide. From there, draw a line on either side to you handle area, making a triangular style bow.  Cut with jig saw to save time and strain.  Then u can make begining thickness at the tips fading to the handle, and cut again with jig saw.  I really hope you understand what I'm trying to paint here! Non bending handle design by the way..

Anyways, my bow ended up 40lbs at 27 full length, then cut off .75 inches of either end, brought the weight up to 43lbs at 27.  Shoots pretty sweet to with the matched arrows I happened to have. Ill be making a post soon. I'm pretty proud of my first bow
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah