Author Topic: i need some encouragement please  (Read 3761 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: i need some encouragement please
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:33 pm »
Don't know where you're located, but come to the Tn. Classic the first weekend in May (three day shoot), and there will be lots of bow making taking place with many experienced bowyers to help give advice! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »
This is not bragging, my first bow worked and I shot a deer with it. Why? mostly luck, partly it was reading the info on Jawges site, talking with Jawge when I had questions, choosing the right board.  I think for many a board bow is the way to start because it takes away the fear of wrecking an expensive stave, it takes alot of the variables out of the wood, staves can have alot of problems. One of the most important things to keep in mind is "Walk away" when you get frustrated or confused walk away, give it a day, go back with the answers you need and continue. I have to tell you that later on after my first bow chrysalled and I built more bows, I had failures, a pile of them with sucess  mixed in,  probably because I thought I had it all figured out. This is a longterm learning experience, you are going to learn from the people here, and from your own experiences. You'll get there, ask alot of questions, and have fun.
VB

Offline blades7558

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 04:30:46 pm »
thanks to every one i had to ditch the maple bow because i read the board wrong when i bought it and i couldn't chase the ring on it. ive moved to using gum wood flat bow. i think this is the wrong place to start a build along so ill put it over in the other section when i get some pictures taken. and truely thanks i almost gave up the other night and i think with everyones help ill make a real bow this time lol.
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:15 pm »
My suggestion is to get rid of the boards, unless you back it with hickory or bamboo which has a learning curve of thier own.  And get yourself some hickory staves real cheap
Westminster, MD

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 10:51:14 am »
Make a tillering gizmo so you will know where to remove wood on your limbs while tillering.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047

Offline Diligence

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11:44 am »
Keep in mind that I have only made 2 self-bows, but they are both shooters.  What I found very useful was to make myself a plan.  I wrote down what I wanted to do, and the order that I wanted to do it.....think of it as a "recipe".

Then, when I was working on the bow, I just followed my recipe which helped me to slow down and not rush the process.

For example only - these are probably not the right order of steps, but you get the idea. (this is for a rigid handle flatbow)
1. mark out my centerline and limb widths.
2. rough out width to those dimensions, keep tips wide for now.
3. mark limb thickness, determine the fades
4. rough out thickness to those dimensions, manage the fades.
5. leave the handle area alone for now
6. keep working on thickness until floor tiller appears
7. cut rough nocks, and find a LONG tillering string, don't pull bow past final draw weight.
8. etc, etc. etc......

Then, when I got to a spot where I thought, I WANT TO SHOOT THIS....I just looked at my recipe to myself and thought, "what if?"

maybe this is overthinking it, but when there are so many things to consider (and when we are newbies) I think it's good to have a plan.

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 11:20:13 am »
Blades,
Are you located anywhere close to being able to attend MOJam in July? (or maybe attend a gathering at Pappy's or something) You'll learn more in one weekend than you will just about anywhere else.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:21 am »
Hey Blades

I just wanted to jump on real quick before I head to work , and say, stick with it!

My first bow broke the first time I took it out to the range to shoot, and I was bummed out.

But thanks to the folks here, I got back into the groove, and made another one, that actually shoots.

Getting ready to start my third.

You're in the right place, we're all here for you, and I, for one, can't wait to see some pics of what you're working on.

Best of luck mate!

Riley, st. paul MN
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 01:03:42 pm »
    I worked on bows for about two years and the only way I could keep them together was to pout FG on the back. When I bought my computer I found Jawges sight on line and my first bow worked great. Picking the right boards or staves is at least 1/2 the battle. Steve