Author Topic: best way to makea reflex?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

best way to makea reflex?
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:48:26 am »
all experience
I ned to know thr best way to create a reflex in a bow. something that will last.

Thanks

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline DanaM

Re: best way to makea reflex?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:25:21 am »
Use a form and dry heat, quite simple
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:26:25 am »
What i liketo do when im reflexing osage is to get a large piece of structural lumber(usually a 2X6) and cut out a form that will be the shape of reflex im wanting. Ill then coat the limb of my almost bending bow with crisco(i usually tell everyone its bear fat just to see their reaction ;D)  and proceed to heat the limb. you must make sure that you dont just superficially heat the limb, but slow cook that bad boy to the core.     Some would probably suggest other methods, such as boiling or steaming since you are trying to do a whole limb, but this method has worked best for me.  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »
There are a few ways to add reflex to a bow but proper,thoughtful, meticulous tillering is the only way to maintain it to any extent. Just adding reflex to a stave, no matter how you put it in, doesn't ensure the stave will have reflex when the tillering is done and the bow is shot it.
  The only way I know to make a bow with reflex that will last as it was put in is to build a glass bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:06:40 pm »
patb
I'm trying to stick with only wood. I seem to remember El D talking about shelac then boil..
Thanks
Ron

Offline Aries

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »
okie, i think the point that pat was tryin to make was that your wood is stil gonna take set even if you put reflex in it unless your usin glass. so we should be very diligent while tillering to prevent excessive set that will take away from the benifits of spending the time to reflex a bow.   I know a bunch of ppl that will reflex a bow only an inch to inch an a half just to counter act the set they plan to encounter during tillering, which results in a bow with a straight unstrung profile.  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 02:04:19 am »
I grease the last 8 inches. Then I heat it with my heat gun to the point that it is too hot to touch. Place it in a nice lined with leather. Then bend it. I have it set up on my bench so I can place wood scraps to keep it bent. Heat some more. Bend it. Add another piece of scrap. When the stave cools I remove it and leave the stave alone for a day to rehydrate.There's a picture of my bench on my site. I can do the whole limb to but I don't usually. Forms are good but I don't use one.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/bowbench.html
Any woodworker's vice mounted on a work bench should do it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 03:57:34 am »
Thanks everyone
Ron