Author Topic: Leather Dyes  (Read 2264 times)

Offline bushman

Leather Dyes
« on: April 09, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
Has anyone got any good dye recipes or know what I could use to dye some leather different colours? I know that you can use the green hulls from black walnuts to make a dark brown colour but I want to make different shades of browns, greens, and yellows. I want the dyes to last and not “run” together on the leather if it gets wet or when I put grease/oil it to water proof it. I wanted to try and use it to make some hunting camouflage. Never hunted in buckskin before so not sure how good it is for camouflage but I thought that since it is all one solid colour it wouldn’t blend in that good as you are movin throw the bush, especially in a dark coloured environment. Has anyone on here ever tried to hunt in buckskin before, if so how well does it work for camouflage?
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Leather Dyes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:19:02 am »
If you are referring to smoked brain tanned leather I'd say no other camo coloration is needed. Like fur I think brain tanned leather absorbs light instead of reflecting it so you should blend in to the surroundings, solid color or mottled.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushman

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »
If you are referring to smoked brain tanned leather I'd say no other camo coloration is needed. Like fur I think brain tanned leather absorbs light instead of reflecting it so you should blend in to the surroundings, solid color or mottled.

Thanks PatB, and yes I was referring to smoked brain tanned leather.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:46:53 pm »
I saw a guy that had tie dyed his brain tan using walnut hull dye I think. Kinda Greatful Deadish without all the bright colors. ;D  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC