Author Topic: My first bow, need help!  (Read 1612 times)

batman

My first bow, need help!
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:53:41 am »
Hi my names Matt and i am midway through making my first serious attempt at a self bow made from green ash, The tiller is pretty shoddy on the bow and hope you guys could give me a hand in where to take material off, Im also getting anxious about taking to much material off because the weight of the bow is very high possibly 80+# at full draw, im not sure of the exact weight as i have no means to measure the weight, however the limbs are getting dangerously thin, i have also thinned the width of bow from 2.5 inches to 1.7 inches at its widest point. while im pleased the bow wood has proved very strong and resilient i cant get full draw without popping my shoulder out! The bows just under 5ft long for anyone interested. Now i have to attempt posting some pictures  ??? :o

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:20:24 am by batman »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My first bow, need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:16 am »
First,I can't see the pictures,second you should never pull a bow back while tillering passed intended weight/draw length,and 3rd green wood is not good either,you will get a lot more set. Not
criticizing you but you ask. :) Love to see some pictures so we can tell how it is looking. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

batman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:11:04 am »
yeh sorry imtryin to get some pictures uploaded but im having some trouble. when i said green ash i ment as in the species green ash as supposed to white or black ash, the wood has seasoned for several months, sorry if that was confusing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:17:39 am »
My bad,It should be fine then,it seasons pretty quick when thinned down and the bark off.
Hard to say what you need to do without seeing it. Also Jawges has a good site for beginners to
get started,might want to look at it also.Lots of lay out and tillering techniques.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:33:59 am »
Howdy Batman,

Green Ash and Black Ash are not really good woods to make bows from.  White Ash is a very good wood for bow making.  That said, if what ya gots layin' around is Green Ash, go for it.  But, keep it wide, 1-7/8" to 2".

Some sort of scale (cheap fishing scale or bathroom scale) is very helpful.

Here's a link to a Build-Along for beginners... 
http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

(That guy uses FG (Fiber Glass) backing - we don't do that here on PA.)  Silk, burlap, paper, or most anything else natural will work fine for backing - or nothing at all is fine too.

And here's the link to Jawge's site, it's another really good sourse of bow buildin' info...  (Thanks Jawge.)
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Good Luck,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »
Great advice. I've got multiple copies of Sam Harpers red oak board bow build along stashed around my place, I can see some of the pages from here. That's what got me through my first bow.

I also don't have a nice scale for tillering; the first time through, I made a tillering stick out of a chunk of 2 x 4, set in on the bathroom scale, zeroed the weight, set the bow in the notch, and pulled down to get the weight.

One thing I found out the hard way; you want to use the old fashioned kind of bathroom scale, not the fancy digital one. Trying to maintain a constant pull while the scale gets it's reading is impossible. =)

I can't wait to see pics.

Riley

saint paul MN
Riley, Saint Paul, MN