Author Topic: Ipe Glue Line Failed  (Read 5056 times)

Lombard

Re: Ipe Glue Line Failed
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 11:26:10 am »
Muina, if you can not find Acetone at a hardware of paint store, you might try an autobody paint shop. It is used to clean the metal before applying paint. Denatured
Alcohol from a paint store will work as well for removing oils from the wood. Good luck!

Offline Muina

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 04:27:54 pm »
Lombard:

Thanks, I think my friend'll know where to get some in that case, he's just finished a college course in Motorbike Mechanics and recently had a job at a Motor Art place!

I think Denatured Alcohol is Methylated Spirits isn't it? I'm not sure about that, I'll check up on it.

Timo:

I'm just planing it flat and then treating it. I've had a look for some Urac, but the nearest place I can find it is Flybow which is in Ireland I think? And they dont state shipping until you've ordered and I don't want to end up paying £20+ just for the P&P.

I'll do a little bit more searching and I'll update if I find any.

Thanks for the input

Anthony

Lombard

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »
Could be Muina, I only know it as denatured though. When I used to build boats, the wood to be bonded got more than a cursory wipe down, and really got a good scrubbing with the Acetone, or Alcohol. Whichever was at hand at the time.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 06:47:32 pm »
Methylated Spirits is one form of Denatured Alcohol, but all denatured spirits are not Methylated Spirits, it depends on the denaturing agent.

Craig.

Offline Muina

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 07:26:55 am »
Thanks, that's saved me a load of bother lol.

I can probably skip the search for Acetone now then. If I  mix the two just to be safe will it affect the wood/glue/each other?

Thanks

Anthony

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:01:43 pm »
Muina,

I believe one way of denaturing alcohol is by adding acetone, so there should not be any trouble.

Craig.