Author Topic: Shoot ID please.  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Shoot ID please.
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »
I just moved into my new place in november and found these growing near a little pond at the back of the property. I cut some then and seasoned them. the seam to spine heavy for the diameter. Never have seen leaves, so no help there. Could someone help me id them and what is the best way to treat them. the first ones I did I stripped the bark off the whole thing except the ends to maybe keep it from checking. the cambium gets real dark brown if you don't get it scraped off all the way.
Any body know?
thanks
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Shoot ID please.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »
It's silky dogwood (Cornus amomum.)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »
Well then, there you go!  Silky dogwood makes good arrows. I don't think it is as tough as red osier but still pretty good. If you cultivate it well you can have a readily available supply of shafting each winter and spring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:53:09 pm »
Thanks guys. I was thinking it was some kind of dogwood but wasn't sure. I think I can probably get 20-25 shafts a year out of this bunch. maybe I can cultivate it to produce more. Hope to make some blood with 'em.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:55:26 pm »
Be sure to cut only shoots with small branches on them. The bare shoots(with only leaf scars) are last years growth and will make a very flimsy arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC