Author Topic: In need of help  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Bent Rig

In need of help
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:50 pm »
 I was in the process of tillering a Bamboo backed Hickory  bow , I had put a slight hinge in one limb and a small thin section lifted . It happened while exercising the limbs so the hickory was not damaged . So I decided to file the bamboo flat down to where it lifted and glue a lamination on top of the bamboo . Has anyone done this before , I was thinking of using Hickory on top of the boo ,  is there any other types of wood that can be used , I know that only certain woods can be used with boo when it is a backing , but is that also true when woods are glued to boo as a backing ?  ???
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Aries

Re: In need of help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:00:05 pm »
So pretty much im gathering that your gonna try to do a trilam with hick belly, boo core and you just lookin for a wood for the back now right?

The reason we aren't able to use certain woods for belly's on boo is cause they are not strong enough in compression compared to the boos high tensil strength. so since you will no longer be using the boo as your primary source of tension i would think you could use whatever wood you wanted to back the boo.  Im not super knowledgeable ive only done a couple lams but that is my opinion.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »
I have successfully decrowned boo backing that had begun to part and back with hickory.  On an osage project.  I grumbled the whole time I did it.

Dave

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:23:02 pm »
Yes Aries - basically now saving it as a tri-lam  ! I haven't been able to make a bow from start to finish from my intitial plans ( mostly my fault) , saved my last 3 and they came out just fine - but in the end have learned a ton as I went , which is what it is all about  . I don't get upset at all - I figure it's all part of the process - and Snedeker it is definitely a shame to decrown Boo - it would have been a fine bow , now plans have changed so I'm off to save another one ! Lol !! Thanks !!! 8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
Yes Aries - basically now saving it as a tri-lam  ! I haven't been able to make a bow from start to finish from my intitial plans ( mostly my fault) , saved my last 3 and they came out just fine - but in the end have learned a ton as I went , which is what it is all about  . I don't get upset at all - I figure it's all part of the process - and Snedeker it is definitely a shame to decrown Boo - it would have been a fine bow , now plans have changed so I'm off to save another one ! Lol !! Thanks !!! 8)
The secret is to plan the bow once it's finished ::) I get 100% success that way  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.