Author Topic: Backing a beech wood bow  (Read 1942 times)

Offline tgr

Backing a beech wood bow
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:50 pm »
I just finished a 72", 50+ #, 26 " bow.  I was going to back it with the fabric snakeskin.  I'm not yet a proficient bowyer, and I don't want to spend the money on real skins only to have the bow break.  Would this type of bow need a more substantial backing?

Thanks for any advice.
Tom R

half eye

Re: Backing a beech wood bow
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:53:30 pm »
tgr,
       Never made a beechwood bow....but if it's 72" long and your drawing 26" seems to this old man that a quality cloth backing ought to do just fine, especially since that length to draw figure would do with a regular self bow. I'm pretty sure some of the guys who know more will let you know for sure.
half eye

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12:33 pm »
What type of material is the fabric?

Cheers

Offline tgr

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:15:27 pm »
I'm not sure.  You can buy these snake skin fabrics from Rudder Bows.  Some sort of linen, not silk.
TR

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:38 am »
I have a Beech wood bow 66" ntn 60lbs 2 26" - no backing , I don't see why backing is necssary other than skins for a better look . Sinew only if you had came in light to add more lbs. or some sort of damage or weakness in the wood . Mine shoots well .  ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin