Author Topic: Frustrated (nocks)  (Read 6156 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Frustrated (nocks)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 03:33:24 pm »
Easiest way to have perfect looking nocks...cut half the amount.  Side nocks lol

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 06:24:51 pm »
 I can't add much to the advice you already are getting except when I start the grooves, I cut them with a very small, fine half round rasp. When I get them how I want I clean them up with a chainsaw file.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 06:27:46 pm »
I draw a line across the tip where I want the string to be, then draw a 45 deg line down the side towards the belly, I draw across the belly to the other side, then draw back up to the other side of the line across the back. I always had a problem with starting the cuts, the file slips ect. so now I use a demolition jig saw blade that I wrapped the end on with duct tape, it has good bite and after cutting in the file rides in the groove nicely.
This is what I do also except I use the corner on a square file to start the cuts.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline barebo

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »
Venisonburger has it down pat. If you follow his diagram it's hard to mess up. A 5/32" chainsaw file dragged slowly backward while using your thumb as a guide will give you a line to sight down. If you make a straight shallow groove across the back, slightly rounding to the diagonal on the limb sides, you can sight from the belly and make sure that they line up. By removing small amounts with the file from side to side, you can make minor corrections, and come out even. Takes practice, but the small diameter file will cut any wood, and give a nice finish that fits the string perfectly.