Author Topic: Another Hackberry underway  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Another Hackberry underway
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:35:09 am »
I had a heck of a season with the ole' Hackberry Hammer two years ago and I really like how light Hackberry is so I decided to start working on a stave I've had for a while. It's slow going right now. We are getting the house ready to put on the market since, sadly, we'll be moving this coming summer. I have a storage unit and we're trying to put a lot of stuff in it. My wife told me to put that pile of bows in it and it brought a tear to my eye  ;D 

I've also been consumed with my book and helping get readings, website (www.jimmyblackmon) and everything ready for the release. So I haven't been able to work on the bow much or get over to Pappy's for fun and bow work.  I hope to get more time in the coming weeks but I am ready for the tiller.  I've been debating sinew for the back of this one but just can't decide. If I want to do it I need to get on it now.

Well, hope everyone is wintering well. We're getting more than our usual share of snow and I'm enjoying it. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:10:55 pm by mullet »

Lombard

Re: Another Hackberry underway
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:24:36 am »
Ranger B, I had seen some Hackberry staves going for around ten dollars, on an auction site. I have never worked it, but the staves appeared straight grained. How does the wood compare to Oak, Ash, or Elm? Good luck on your book, sounds like it will be a good read.

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:14:48 pm »
sorry, but did you say $10 for a hackberry stave!!!!?  I've seen some awesome bows made from it.  Any chance you'd release the name of this auction site?  >:D ::) O:)
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:05:38 pm »
lombard, hackberry is very comparable to elm.  not quite as dense as ash, but better elasticity.  just a great light  in the hand bow wood.  it steams real easily.  my favorite wood other than osage.  its really tougher than its numbers says it should be.  Ranger good luck on the book and move.  sounds like you got lots going on.  glad you can make time for a bow!

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »
$10 is a smoking price!  I love it. It is feather light compared to more dense woods like osage.  I go much slower with it when tillering. It does take set quicker since it's lighter but not too bad. I just try and give it a break when not shooting. I string it, shoot, then as soon as I'm done I unstring it.  I like it better than hickory but I've not used elm.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:00:24 pm »
Ranger B
I hear you on the lack of bow making time. ;)  I  have a couple of Hackberry staves that I got at Pappy's last year.  I'm looking foward to making something out of them.  Do you think the sinew would deal well with the humidity of the Southeast?  Hope all is well.
Traverse City, MI