Author Topic: glass "pebbles"  (Read 4746 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: glass "pebbles"
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:46 am »
Cool work Lobo!  Thanks for the advice and encouragement, everybody.  I thought I might be able to knock some edges off one of these things by scoring it with a glass cutter and hitting it just right...  It shattered into a potential emergency room nightmare.  I still think it must be possible to break off the edges and have nice platforms, but it will require some trial and error.  I've been watching the dumpster for glass bottles, but it seems everybody's going to really thin glass.  Rumor has it beer bottles destined for drinking establishments are made of thicker glass?  But what I find in the parking lot on Sunday morning is pretty thin.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 10:00:43 am »
I go to old dumps that I remeber seeing in my youth.   Most old farms dumped stuff in the nearest ravine or gully . You can get some nice glass out of these places , I really like the old clorox bottle bottoms, an don't forget nice blue mason jars. I'm so old now have trouble remebering yesterday let alone my youth ;D  Later Bob

Offline StevenT

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 11:07:40 am »
Zen, my two cents worth would be to echo that you should give up on the little disk. Especially since you are just learning. Those things come with all kinds of special challenges that a person just stating out would have no idea how to work them.  Go with the other suggestions provided for sources of glass.

And to answer another question that was asked.... computer monitors (CRT types) work just as good as old TV tubes. There is another thread that outlines the precautions with the phosphor coating inside the screen.

Offline wildman

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 11:52:39 pm »
I have had luck with old beveled glass out of mirrors I just started knapping and the glass is very forgiving I could send a few pieces if you can't find any ;D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 01:09:20 am »
I just finished off a nice square bottle of Amaretto liquer, and the  glass seems quite thick, so I may have some good starting material here. ;)
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:36 am »
if you decide to whack one of those again. stand one on end with a soft flat stone as a base, hold it by the edges, wear gloves (good ones) and glasses. and hit it with a sharp blow on the top with a soft hammerstone. chances are it wont work because of the imperfections in the glass but if it does work it should split in roughly two pieces giving you an edge to start work ing on. its the same method used to split river cobbles.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline david w.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »
glass makes a good point. just ask my fingers
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 05:23:44 pm »
You guys are great!

You offer to send me materials, you offer good advice, and you make me laugh.  I love the company I'm keeping around here.