Author Topic: Bruneau Jasper  (Read 3276 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Bruneau Jasper
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:32:58 am »
Has anyone tried knapping it?  Bruneau is just around the corner from me and I guess there is a small mine there where I could just go pick it up.  dont know a whole lot about the rock though.  If any one knows anything please let me know.  Thanks

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Bruneau Jasper
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:36:47 am »
I worked on a pipeline out of Bruneau a long time ago.  Once in awhile they would dig up some jasper.  If you can find some good quality it knapps just fine.  Needs to be heat treated and will some times change colors somewhat with the heating.  Bruneau canyon is still a wild place.  There are also some agates to be found there, but never found any large pieces.  The chipping grounds there also show some obsidian flakes, but I think that was hauled in.  There used to be a rock shop in Mountain Home where I was able to get some jasper.  Makes a beautiful point!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:48:37 pm »

Riley, check with Emory Coons, in Burns Oregon.  He can tell you all you need to know. ;)
He has some nice chunks of Jasper.  He heat treats it.  Get in touch with him.  You will be glad you did.

Wayne

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:23 pm »
Wolf,
 I am up here in mtn. home. Dont know of any rock shops here....?.... 
I know where to get the jasper now though.

Stickbender,
 How would I go about getting ahold of Emory Coons?

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:00:34 pm »
Riley:  Funny I just got a call from an old long lost pipeline buddy yesterday and he is living in Mt.Home.  He went to school in Bruneau with my brother years ago.  Its been a long time since I worked there so maybe the rock shop is gone.  My older brother worked there when they were putting in the missile silos.  There are also some quarrys in the cliffs along the big river!  Let me know how it works for you!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:57 pm »
Wolf,

Thats pretty cool.  I grew up here and went to school here to.  Whats his last name I may know him. 

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:35:12 am »

Tell, I am on the phone with Emory, and he says it is one of the hardest Jaspers!!  He rates it in hardness at about 7-8 or higher, and being that a diamond is at 9 !  He said each piece is different, and takes a lot of heat, and can vary with each piece. He said depending on how the stone grew, you can get hard layers on top, and then softer layers in between, and it also depends on how you use the natural grain of the stone.  He said there is some of the Bruneau jasper, that has eyes, or orbs, and some of it has a lot of it, and it would probably be better sell that for jewelry, rather than try to knapp it.  He said you can heat it anywhere from 600-1000 degrees, depending on the piece.  You just have to experiment with it. He said you can call him.  pm me, and I will give you his number.  He is in Arizona at the moment, and will probably be there till March, but he said you can call him after dark, as he is doing some rock hunting, and occasionally is out of cell service.  But he said to keep trying, and you will catch him eventually.  He is an absolute wealth of information, and Extremely talented.  If you ever get the chance to meet him, by all means do so.  The stuff he makes, is just jaw dropping!  You know the arrowhead in stone that Cowboy, and Sawfiler, are doing, he made some at the Quartzsite show, and even made a mini Danish Dagger, in a piece of stone, with "Stitching" in the handle!!!  The Guy is amazing.  But give him a call, and he can help you, and give you all kinds of info on various stones.  He has been knapping since he was Five!  His Dad, is a really nice guy also, and he used to have a lapidary shop.  You can contact him around March on the internet, at emorycoons@yahoo.com .  But give him a call tomorrow, or whenever, but after dark.  He should be back from rock digging, and be in cell range.

Wayne

Pdwight

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:21 pm »
I used to do quite a bit of rock tumbling, the old saying goes "The harder the rock....the better it will polish"

This type of Jasper was a favorite because it polished so well, Im not sure but I think tis is very similar to Picture Jasper.

Dwight

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:27:50 pm by Justin Snyder »