Author Topic: osage staves  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Pat B.

osage staves
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:00:27 am »
 I removed this; didn't know there was no buying or selling --- sorry.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:16:20 am by Pat B. »
Friends are the family we choose

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: osage staves for sale ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:52 am »
lmao that tripped me out lol

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:03 am »
No buying or selling on this forum. If you have something to trade, you could try that.

Might wanna change your forum name also, we have a Pat B here already. He's a long time member and administrator. Might cause massive confusion if you don't.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:07:21 am »
No buying or selling on this forum. If you have something to trade, you could try that.

Might wanna change your forum name also, we have a Pat B here already. He's a long time member and administrator. Might cause massive confusion if you don't.

Dido, $$ is only for PM conversations. You should post this in the Trading Post section w/o the $$$ being stated. You can talk $$ in PMs, but not on the forum.

Thanks, dp

Oh yea, Come to the TN Classic and there will be plenty of staves to choose from.  ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B.

Re: removed
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:17 am »
I would love to come to the Classic but I can't travel, bad back..

I'll keep looking !

Offline Wiley

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:34 am »
Thought about trying woods other than osage? Most people either live in places with good hardwoods around, If you live in the midwest where there are less hardwoods, generally a lot more osage there. For my bow wood I only need to go outside and cut it for there is white oak, red oak, various species of hickory, pecan, mulberry, dogwood, witch hazel, persimmon, possibly a few elms, hackberry, sweetgum if I was feeling masochistic about trying to split the hardest to split tree in the woods.

Sure osage is awesome, but it's not very available here as well. But I have around 60 acres of mixed temperate hardwoods full of trees that I can select wood from.

This is what spring time looks like around where I am, in an area that as been thinned out a little for firewood. The forked tree is a white oak, I think the left fork is the next tree i'm going to cut and split. This is just right outside my house, on in the foreground is a larger white oak, there is a good bit of straight trunk, when it comes down it will be broken down into staves. I'm working on a dogwood American Flatbow currently. Being able to just go outside, find a good tree, and turn it into a bunch of staves for free sort of kills a lot of the appeal of osage to me. Seems like ebay goes from 50-120 a stave, elsewhere on the internet 100 or more, maybe i'm just not looking in the right places. Personally I would get myself some staves from where I live, and trade them with someone from the midwest that doesn't have such an abundance of trees. Trade them a dogwood stave or something. I just can't justify spending money on it, trade is more appealing every time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:54:40 am by Wiley »

Offline toomanyknots

Re: osage staves
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:46 am »
yeah, you should probably change your name, this had me going for a second...  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:32:31 am »
Thank you Wiley...

I live about 50 miles from the Gulf, in Texas..  There are lots of white woods available, elm, oaks, hackberry and a few others..
In fact, I cut two hackberrys and split them yesterday..  Like you said, I guess I'll be working with them for the time being..

Thanks for your thoughtful reply..

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 11:35:15 am »
I am who I am...

Pat B and me, Pat B., coexist on other forums quite well.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 11:51:33 am »
I'd find myself the straightest good sized limb off a southern live oak I could find. I've never worked with it but you probably live close to where some grows. It is one of the most dense woods in north america, heavier than osage. The numbers on it are really nice for making a bow, quite close to the numbers on osage, higher in everything except for crushing strength, but those are so close you probably get more variance among trees of the same species.

Someone here would probably trade an osage stave for such a piece of wood. It's range isn't large, it isn't very common bow wood but it has lots of potential for making bows. With the way they grow your likely to find a lot of pieces that have varying degrees of reflex or deflex but for learning go for the straightest.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:03 pm »
I am who I am...

Pat B and me, Pat B., coexist on other forums quite well.

Yes, but it could appear to many that you are attempting to ride on the reputation of a longstanding and well respected member of this community.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:03 pm »
Pat where bouts do you live? I've seen Osage between Matagorda and Victoria and between El Campo and Matagorda.

There's also wild growing crepe myrtle, Texas black ebony and we-satch (not spelled) correctly, but phonetically.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.