Author Topic: Black powder Rondevouse  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Keenan

Black powder Rondevouse
« on: March 01, 2010, 01:25:04 pm »
We went to the Horse Butte black powder rendezvous over the weekend nd had a really fun time. It really is like stepping back in time with everyone walking around in buckskins and wool blankets.  Black powder booms echoing in the background and the echo of a blackshith's hammer keeping rhythm. nothing like falling asleep while watching the fire light flickering on the tipi walls and hearing various drums around the camp. Laying in the bunk underneath a couple elk hides,  looking up at the stars flickering through the smoke vent of the tipi. Could there be a better way to drift off to sleep.
  This event had it all. Primitive bow coarse, hawk and knife coarse with around 16 targets including several swinging stumps.  Black powder shoots and even a fort shoot.  Here are a few pics of the fun.

Offline Keenan

Re: Black powder Rondevouse
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:27:04 pm »
A few more:

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »
Looks like you had a great time Keenan... I wish we had more stuff like that where I live...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Allen7

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:50 am »
I had a great time at the Rende last weekend.  It was was really great to see y'all again.  You are making some really beautiful bows.    I did stop at Glass Buttes for 3 hours and get some more obsidian.  Basically picked up some surface nodules and dug a small pit that produced some mahogany.   I see you took picture of Talking Crow and I as we walked by on our way to shoot the rifles.  I had on my grey goat coat and coyote hat.    I love wearing it in cold weather.   

-- Happy Knapper

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 02:29:52 am »
That was a fun weekend Allen and I was really glad to see you again and get to visit.  You sure lit a fire in Lulyn for the mounted archery. It's been a dream of hers for a while and now she can really see herself doing it. As much as an over achiever that she is I'm sure she will press in till she can do it. She's been watching video's and hitting the web site and has been on the phone with the Susan and Holm Neumann up in Sisters.  Thanks again for all your help Allen.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:05:05 am »
Makes me want to get to them shining mountains even quicker
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »
That looks like it was a great time!  Awesome pictures.  I assume the teepee is yours pictured.  Did you just buy the canvas and stitch it up yourself.  I haven't looked into building one of those yet.  That would be a project I would love to do...
1’—>1’

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:33 pm »
  Yes Parnell that is my tipi. No I didn't make it but I am getting ready to paint it myself. I found it on Craigslist for 50 bucks, just the canvas and no poles. It is a crow style and had the brass grommets on the bottom and door lacing so I took it up to Nomadic tipi's in Sisters and had them do so reinforcing on the bottom and door and make sewn in loops and lacing holes. Stayed up late last night trying to design the paint scene that I want.  ::)

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:19:47 am »
Good stuff Keenan Rendezvous are the best times.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:06 am »
Where was that?
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island