Author Topic: big hickory knots  (Read 3286 times)

bowman26

big hickory knots
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:36:32 am »
There is a large knot right in the middle of my (otherwise gorgeous) hickory could be bow. I have followed the grain religeously around the knot and left it a bit thicker their but the last time I attempted this the bow broke while I was racking it for about the fith time. My solution is sinew. My question is when and how? Should I rap it? Should I back the entire bow even though it's 66 1/2" ntn? I know the power of sinew but I need help harnessing it. Thanks for any feedback to this loaded question. Almost got it racked but to chicken. Bow has been standing in the corner for over a month in this stage. It deserves better.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: big hickory knots
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:58:07 am »
Any pictures?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

bowman26

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:42:34 am »
I can't figure out my gmail password and my wife tells me I need that to send pictures. Happy to entertainquestions though. Sorry

Offline Hojo

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:47:19 am »
Sounds like you have done things right so far by leaving extra wood around the knot.  In the absence of pics, a little more info would be needed:

Looking at the bow lengthwise, where does the knot fall?  Is it in the handle area, for example, or in the middle of one of the limbs?  Looking at the bow widthwise, where is the knot?  Is it at an edge of the bow, or in the middle.  A description of the overall bow is also needed---its length, width at fades, profile (straight or reflexed, for example), and what you are hoping to get in terms of draw length and weight.  

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:50:57 am »
If the knot runs to the edge of your bow it will cause failure. If you got some clean wood between the knot and the edge of the bow you have a chance of success. Bring the bow to life slowly. Exercise the wood gentle like and go slow. Sometimes in order to get a bow you have to rethink your expiation's about draw length and weight. Have fun !!

bowman26

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:42 pm »
The knot is about a foot from one of the nocks. Width wise its directly in trhe center. It won't bend at the knot though. It's naturaly reflexed but only about 1 1/2" on the knot end. I'm thinking I will take off thickness instead of width at the knot.I still think a couple threads of sinew around the knot might save it. Thanks again for comments.

Offline barebo

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »
If it falls nearly dead center of the limb, you can work with it. You should be able to see how far the grain radiates above and below the knot, and taper thickness to it from each end - in essence giving you as short a flat spot as possible. I made a Hickory bow with a knot dead center and hollowed out the pith so that you could put a pencil through it !! Tillered and shot great. I used super glue to fortify the knot hole inside. Makes for good character !!! Good Luck !!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »
Be sure you tiller the knotted areas slightly stiff so that the knots don't bend too much. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bowman26

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:43:57 pm »
Well the bow appears to be a success. Still in the break in period but I shot about20 arrows and it's doing very well. The string is well off center, it has some string follow. The two limbs have different amounts of follow but I tillered them to work together. It's my first success so it will have to do. Time to kill a southern MO buck with it. Or a doe!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:05 am »
Remember the knot needs to appear slightly stiffer than ther est of the limb and it looks pretty good.  Left limb get the near handle wood moving a bit more. Right limb get mid limb on moving a bit more. My advice is to stop using the  t stick. Set up a rope and pulley. Better for you and the bow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:08:34 am »
That handle ara looks pretty large. How long is the non bending handle area. jawge
Set Happens!

bowman26

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:43:50 am »
7 to 8 inches i'd say. The photo on the tillering board is in mid tiller but I have now broke in and finished it. I don't know theexact poundage but i'd say 45 to50 ibs.