Author Topic: Gluing down feathers  (Read 2594 times)

Offline wildcat hunter

Gluing down feathers
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:58:12 pm »
  I need some advice, what am I doing wrong. I had some new shafts ( wood ), I got the "tape" and put the feathers on but they came loose! So I removed them all - they pulled up quite easily ( the tape stayed on the shaft ). The taped pulled from the shaft in one piece then. I lightly sanded the shafts and tried glue, 3 kinds! Fletch it, goat tuff and contact cement. The 1st 2 just would not dry - even after 30 seconds! The contact cement dried ok but thats not they way its supposed to work! What am I doing wrong? I would like to use the tape because its not as messy, glue gets on they clamp, sticks, etc.

Offline Scowler

Re: Gluing down feathers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:10 pm »
Never heard of those glues.  I've always used Duco cement (when I don't tie on fletchings without glue) and never had a problem.  That being said I normally let Duco dry 14-15 minutes before removing from the fletching jig.  Maybe this is one of those "lessons learned" experiences and you should just practice becoming neater about applying glue? 

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:58:30 pm »
Are ya using a fletching jig of some sort?

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:13:46 pm »
Do you have any finish on the shafts?  Maybe the adhesive isn't compatable with the finish.

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:45:09 am »
   I used a Bohning jig ( its plastic ). The goat tuff says it sets up in 10 seconds. All the glues and the tape came from 3 Rivers archery except the super glue.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 11:30:43 am »
I use plain old super glue and I've never had any troubles. Somebody mentioned before that the finish on the arrow might be interfering, I'd check that first

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:08:58 am »
  OK, heres what I found. Its too cold where I worked - it takes 10 minutes for the glue to set and then another 10 to dry! I now have a fan blowing warm air onto the porch so its about 60 degrees now, glue sets up in 5 minutes now. Still have no reason for the tape not staying down but this time I wiped all the shafts with acetone. I tries 6 shafts with tape and 11 with the 2 kinds of glue - we'll see what works best.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »
I use titebond III. It works really well, is waterproof, doesn't smell, and is CHEAP. The only down side is that it can leave a yellow line if you use too much. On another note, if you still use plastic nocks, you can use titebond as well. The nocks will pop off after one or two shots. then use fletchtite and pop them back on. The titbond adheres to the wood permanently, and the fletchtite melts the nock to the titebond. They'll never come off again.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »
I use titebond III. It works really well, is waterproof, doesn't smell, and is CHEAP. The only down side is that it can leave a yellow line if you use too much. On another note, if you still use plastic nocks, you can use titebond as well. The nocks will pop off after one or two shots. then use fletchtite and pop them back on. The titbond adheres to the wood permanently, and the fletchtite melts the nock to the titebond. They'll never come off again.

I've never heard of titebond III for fletching.  Good to know.  Might try it soon. Wouldn't see why it wouldn't work though. If it'll hold snakeskin to the back of a bow I don't see why it wouldn't hold fletching on.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »
  SUPER GLUE EVEN STICKS TO FINISH.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline autologus

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:20:14 am »
Super Glue gel works great for me.  I have even gotten where I do not get it on my fingers now.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.