Author Topic: sealer for staves  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

sealer for staves
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »
I recently screwed up a nice Hickory bow by not being able to get off the glue I put on the back of the bow to seal it initially for drying.

I have a great elm tree that I am going to get in a week or two and am wanting to use better materials to seal the back of this whitewood.  What is your materials and methods of choice for sealing whitewood bows where the back is not chased to a ring?  I don't want to screw up the backs of the elm staves I split out.  Also, is the elm bark and cambium going to be a beast to remove???  I have never fooled with elm before?

El Destructo here said that he used Shellac, which could be easily removed for staining and sealing with Denat. alcohol ... without having to scrape.  Another fellow said he sealed with tung oil. 

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!     

Offline DanaM

Re: sealer for staves
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:17:41 pm »
Yup shellac I usually use two coats :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:46:22 pm »
I generally don't seal the backs of whitewood staves but if I feel I have to I finish sand, stain and seal with a poly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »
i just seal the ends with tite bond 2...having a gallon of it from my sub box building days helps...i have never used shellac though

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
I coat the ends with TB 2 really heavy, then shellac the back.  It's cheap insurance and with really light minimal scraping it comes right off.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:24:58 am »
Don't seal the back, if you want it dry slowly the leave the bark on.
I just seal the ends and the end quarter inch or so with cheapo builders PVA, I've always got some of it hanging around.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.