Author Topic: new ELB  (Read 3034 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
new ELB
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:20:04 pm »
hi guys, I'm back in Toronto after my tripping around looking at various bows of Europe and west coast of Canada.
I came back and I started making some long bows. I had previously only made one and It broke. It had a small crack going right across the limb, I left it alone for a year, and recently I use tightbond 3 and clamped it. The bow shoots. Though it seems to keep on cracking and the layers in question seem to continually crack further apart tiny tiny bit at a time. I was wondering if this is a lost cause Or weather a sinew binding over the effected area will cure this error. I found out it was over a veeery small hinge. which i corrected in re-tillering.

The Other question I had was, Manitoba maple. I had a 3" pole of it from last year that I forgot about, and thinking I had found a lost piece of ash I made it into another longbow. I had to keep tillering and tillering until It would bend  down all the way to 26" So it was nearly too light to use about 15-20lbs and after that the wood took a tremendous amount of set. Is this normal for this type of wood? Or did I just get a bad piece?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: new ELB
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:49:30 am »
How about some pictures of the crack,maybe someone could help if we could see it. :)
The wood could have not been dry enough or bad tillering.don't know for sure.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good