Author Topic: Miwok bow #5. testing the limits of primitive design, incense cedar and sinew  (Read 23127 times)

Offline fusizoli

Yes thanks! I think he have flater core than yours and thats why he can pull it so far. It works like a "hornbow" just without horn. Thats what ammazed me.
Schould make one from the pics but, better this way. First ask the correct size make it and brake it lol.

Carve out the first core but have to make another because there are weak points ( hoped will fall out but not ) and this bow working on limit so weak points are not tolerated. Some work into the trash, may for the kids with some backing.....

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Fusizoli. The cross section of these bows are that of a flattened oval. ()- That is  almost the exact cross section of the bow on it's side        It is hard to tell from the pictures. I took some measurements for you. Just above the handle it is         1- 7/16 wide and 11/16 thick. The 5 to 6 layers of sinew make up 1/3 the thickness. Mid limb is 1-6/16 wide by 9/16 thick. I'll post some pics for you.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
The first photo is 3 Miwok bows at rest. The 2nd is a bow before sinewing. 3. cross section before sinew and 4 cross section of complete bow.
 When I find the time I will do some detailed tests on a handfull of replicas to see just how well these native bows performed. Allot of  things point to technology from Siberia and the orient reaching the west coast and spreading to the plains and southwest

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline fusizoli

Aha thanks! So it much deeper as I tought or carved the first one. I ve made a californian flat one not like this :( Thats bend like yours from yew without sinew.
But this deep handle how could bend so much ?

This small pictures are suck >:D ::) but tahanks any kind of help  ;) Some front wiew please.

Cheers Zoltán

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
That is an outstanding bow! Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!