Author Topic: An afternoon on the Brazos.  (Read 2838 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
An afternoon on the Brazos.
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:16:42 pm »
I put this in "Flintknapping" cause we did pick up a few rocks ;). I've mentioned the Brazos a few times on here so thought I'd show it. Loaded up the dog and picked up dad and spent a couple of hours on the river. It's about an hour from the house - man I love that river. Went to pick up some rock but just love being there, having a few cold one's, fishing, rockhounding, or just walking around looking - don't matter just being out somewhere. Here's my take for today :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: An afternoon on the Brazos.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »
couple more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »
Ok where's the fish pictures ;) Thanks for sharing Paul, looks like a good time to me :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline arappaho

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
I hear ya'. Thanks for the pics.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
Cool beans man,It would be hard to go back to work the next day with all that rock just lying there.Man I got to get out there one of theses days.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »
 I'll have to google earth it tomorrow at work. See how far I'll be. I have an F-250 begging to be loaded. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:14:09 pm »
Nice find!
Hey ,your finger looks like mine after I knapp!!  ;D
I got a good cut today, I decided to try to knapp on my break at work. I was about to sit down and start, when I noticed my bopper in the bucket. I reached down to pick it up and found a 2 inch obsidian spall from the day before with my finger.
After 3 coats of super glue and 15 minutes later it stopped bleeding. Whats crazy is that it wasn't that big of a cut. Man that stuff in sharp!!
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25:35 pm »
Now that is a lot of rock. It looks like that one in your hand is sharp enough to draw blood.

Eddie, you might as well make it a usefull trip.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:20 am »
I do seem to have developed a small leak in that one picture, really just trying to build up the scar tissue so's I don't cut so easy ;D. That whole country is rock pretty much but not all that much chert unless I just don't know where to look. The dam is about twenty miles upstream and theres some good gravel bars up that way. Eddie, the Brazos empty's into the gulf @ Freeport - kinda close to where your going to be but there ain't no rock down there. You aughta google LaCoste, TX just a little west of San Antonio. If you go there, that F-250 ain't gonna be near big enough ;D.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:01 pm »
My ex left me an moved back to Freeport. If you see her, I would be abliged if you throw one of those Brazos rocks at her.  >:D

Looks like a nice haul and great place to look for rock.

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »
cowboy were in  LaCoste, TX i am going that way in febuary
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »
criverkat: LaCoste isn't much of a town, they do have a store though :). I've gone there a couple of ways. Find it on the map just SW of San Antonio. Once your there take the hwy out of town that runs along with the railroad (don't know the #). This time of year there won't be any crops and the farmer I talked to had no problem with me getting all I wanted. He's the farm to the right side of the road across the tracks. Good luck..

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 11:08:21 pm »
Thanks cowboy i am looking forward to checking it out ill take some picks and post when i come back
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:33:38 pm »
Pual let me know ifin you run across any of those rat snakes form there,I;ll treat ya right for um!

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 09:46:16 am »
That would be good criverkat. I haven't been down there in awhile, would be nice to see what ya take out.
 I'll dig through my box Tim.