Author Topic: How well do you apply a finish?  (Read 9910 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Re: How well do you apply a finish?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 10:21:20 pm »
I like to get the finish as close to perfect as I can. After spending so many hours making the bow itself, it just doesn't make sense to shortcut the finish by a few steps.  I like tru oil. Generally I keep applying coats and steel wooling between them untill the grain is completely full and I have sufficient finish built up. ( on a porous wood, i  usually have at least 12 coats, sometimes more) Then I wet sand the entire bow with 600 then 1000 grit. The finish will be perfectly smooth but very dull after wet sanding. Then I use automotive polishing compound to bring a nice satin luster back to the finish, then I wax it.  The result is a glass smooth finish without a blinding shine. I also prefer a non shiny bow.

Scott, the point you bring up is the reason I seem to sweat getting a good finish, especially if I've created a bow that is more "pretty" versus strictly "utilitarian". I don't mind putting in some extra time putting on a good finish, but the trouble I've had with the lacquer finish on these two bows is just ridiculous. I'll NEVER do lacquer EVER again!

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:59 am »
When I go for a glossy finish, which is usually for furniture and not bows, I use water-based polyurethane (Minwax Polyacrylic) for its durability, not its sandability; it's actually much harder, and more difficult to sand than the oil based stuff.  That's the stuff I wet sand with oil and fine grit.  I prefer oil-based finishes for most everything though, and it is possible to bring them to high gloss as well, it just takes lots of elbow grease.  Poly is just a quick easy mimic of the finish you get from oil.

"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Grunt

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »
For an functional object like a bow I usually stop sanding at 220. I then raise the grain with a paper towel and warm water. Knock down any fuzz with worn 220 and then apply a coat of penetrating oil like Watco. Watco has a long open time so you can wet sand if you like using Watco for lube the sanding dust mixed with the oil will fill the grain. It takes 3 or 4 days for the Watco to fully dry and when it is dry I use a varnish based top coat like spar varnish over the Watco. Haven't used Tru Oil but from the endorsements here I'm sure it will work fine. Using the penetrating oil first will ensure that the finish is IN the wood not just laying on the surface.
I have shot colored lacquer on Ipe/Boo but surface finishes take maintenance. Oh, Yeh, good hard carnaba wax on top of everything. 

Robert

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 02:31:01 am »
Excellent topic, hope y'all don't mind the bump.

Some random thoughts on finishing:

A bow is a very difficult object to finish.  Just finding a way to hold it while you apply a finish can be a challenge.  There's nothing like a flat surface on it, everything is curved and there's no place where you do one side, let it dry, then flip it and do the other side; each coat has to be continuous.  So any kind of thick finish that would work well on a tabletop will tend to sag, drip, and run on a bow.  Also the finish will have to flex with the bow.  So the best finishes are ones that can be applied in very thin coats and wiped on with a rag.

The easiest finish I have worked with was Watco Danish oil.  This is basically boiled linseed oil with just a touch of varnish.  It behaves pretty much like b.l.o., just rub on and rub off.  It doesn't get sticky as fast as tru-oil (which to me just seems like wiping varnish...if I try to rub it in like oil it gets sticky and pulls loads of lint off the rag, and leaves marks.  I had to wipe it on in smooth continuous strokes just like varnish).  But it only has a touch of gloss, too, so that could be a downside.  I got the best results rubbing it in with sandpaper up to 1500 grit.  It's not exactly glossy, but has a very nice deep luster, and if you look at it from a low angle (like looking down the limbs from the tip) you get a mirror-like reflection.  To me that is the ideal surface finish, its classy and understated, but catches the eye and feels like silk to the hand.

I usually don't like to stain wood.  A lot of closed-pore woods like birch or maple are difficult to stain evenly, and a bow with all of its contours has lots of end grain showing in different places, and those areas like to stain darker.  Stains often "muddy" the wood, especially fine grained ones.  Plus having a stain makes my favorite technique of wetsanding with danish oil or b.l.o more difficult since its easy to sand through the stain (although I can get around that by mixing some oil based stain into my danish oil and doing it all in one step).  Strongly open-grained woods like ash, oak, and hickory are the best candidates for staining, since it actually helps make the grain more dramatic.

I often use BLO to "stain" woods.  On darker woods like ERC, Walnut, and even cherry, BLO brings out the colors very nicely, better than any stain could do.  It gives a nice amber glow to white woods, too.  It helps pop grain on figured pieces or burls.  Most other finishes can be applied over BLO, just let it dry for a week.

If I want a super glossy finish, my favorite is shellac.  It's easily marred by water and oils, and especially alcohol, but for a target bow that will be pampered it works well.  It doesn't have the plasticky feel of varnish, and is harder than varnish so it will take a much better gloss.  It dries to the touch in like two seconds, can be recoated within a couple hours, so you can get on all of your coats in a day or two.  Since it dries so fast lint is not an issue, and I've never had a problem with runs and drips (I use a relatively thin 1 lb cut normally).  The individual coats merge together into one, unlike varnish where you have a bunch of thin coats sitting on top of each other.  That makes it more forgiving when you sand off imperfections, since you won't leave a white witness line where you have gone through a layer like with varnish.  Best of all, since its solvent is alcohol, it doesn't have an overpowering smell, and what smell there is disappears quickly.  You can finish in your bedroom, or in an apartment.  That would be unpleasant with varnish.

Dewaxed shellac also makes an excellent sanding sealer for other finishes.  I've read that it is one of the best barriers to water vapor.  It certainly makes the wood fibers stiffer and lets you sand the wood smoother.  I just put on one coat of 1/2 lb cut in between each grit after 150.  It helps to even stain penetration, too.

Other tips:

-use good lighting when doing finishing work.  You need light from multiple angles to see all of the little imperfections.  Harsh fluorescent lights are very unflattering; if you can make it look good under one of those it will look fantastic under regular light.

-Don't underestimate the satin finish.  A perfect glossy finish is so much work, from making the surfaces even and not wavy to getting on a perfect coat...in fact most glossy finishes I've seen were not perfect if you look close enough.  A quick rubdown with 0000 steel wool lubed with wax will turn a so-so gloss finish into a perfect satin finish, since the lack of reflection hides most tiny imperfections.  The beauty of a satin finish is more in the feel of it than in looking like its been dipped in glass.  It's more fitting of a deadly weapon, too...makes it seem more serious somehow.

Well hopefully that helps someone.  -Rob

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 03:00:51 am »
Sounds like a lot of good techniques Robert. If you look down a little ways you'll see I finally finished these two bows. They're under the BBI completed thread. I finished them using a natural oil composite called Bioshield Hard Oil #9. Bioshield has linseed oil, tung oil, and castor oil along with some driers and  such. It is extremely low VOC and can be easily wiped on with a rag in multiple thin coats. I put on five coats and got a fairly nice glossy sheen but not overpoweringly glassy looking. I think it could be buffed down a bit with 0000 steel wool as you mentioned and that would probably yield a nice satin finish. I'm planning on using it on a number of woodworking projects from carving to drums to boxes as well as my next few bows. Because of its ease of application, low odor, and the nice result it yields I think it's my new go-to finish.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 10:17:23 am »
here's one that simple, cheap and durable,  SUPER GLUE.  a few coats of super glue will encase you bow in acrylic plastic.  its tough enough and will polish out to a good luster.   Its a technique i have used on oily woods for a while but recently did a whole bow with it.  It was HBO with cocobolo accents all through.  Then i sprayed two coats of Spar Urethane and once that is cured i will apply paste wax with steel wool and buff it out.  really easy and not expensive to do.  Remember, Ipe is super oily no matter how much you clean it with acetone most finishes will take forever to dry.  Super glue will dry in about 10 mins.

Offline cracker

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:30 am »
My philosophy is that perfect is the enemy of real good.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Robert

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 01:57:49 pm »
kiltedcelt- that finish sounds nice. I hear that real tung oil is a good moisture barrier, so if the bioshield has enough of that then that sounds like it would be ideal for a bow. 

sulphur- I've been intrigued by superglue as a finish, but how do you apply it?  Do you buy it in a can or something, and wipe it on?  Seems like it would be tricky to get it on smooth before it dries, you wouldn't have much time for correcting mistakes.  Epoxy might be a a similar candidate for a super tough finish.

-Ronnie- that's about it, lol.