Author Topic: mulberry stave  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Dave 55

mulberry stave
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »
Ive got a mulberry stave that is taken down to about 2 square inches the problem is when you look down at the back it has about a 4 inch bow in it,I followed the lateral grain and dont know wether to try and rough a bow out of it and try to straighten it then,or ,or plan B just continue to scratch my head and look at it,the bow is side to side,any thoughts would be appreciated. ???
Now is the good old days

Offline Frode

Re: mulberry stave
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »
Dave,
Can you post a pic?
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:54:15 pm »
you can probably remove the bow with heat applied to a narrowed handle section.
clamp the stave in a vice, heat the handle section and add sufficient weight such that gravity straightens the bow.
you should be able to sight down the stave to check for straightness or you can always check it with a string stretched from end to end.

leave the weight until the stave has cooled, otherwise it'll spring back. trust me on that one...........

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:17:58 pm »
thanks for the replys,Frode I dont have a digital camera,or likely the smarts to post a picture if I had one,this stave has me baffled since the whole thing is one big bow,no wonder I got it cheap.Dave.I think that Sonny gave me a good idea but  that handle section would have to put up with alot of pressure.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:22:19 pm by Dave 55 »
Now is the good old days

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:35:00 pm »
I would do like sonny said.  If you rough it out so the handle is closer to finished dimetions it will be a lot easier to straighten.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah