Author Topic: Bow wood information?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Bow wood information?
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:56:53 am »
I'm curious about a couple trees that I haven't ever heard come up in the literature or online.  One is Gray Birch (Betula populifolia), and the other is Pin Cherry (Prunus pensylvanica, aka Fire Cherry).

Gray Birch, as I recall was pretty dense stuff.  Additionally, it was the only wood that you could cut green in the winter, and throw straight in the stove in a pinch.  That property pretty much saved my parent's butts back in the 50's, when they bought their farm in the fall, and the sellers took all the firewood with them when they moved out.  It seems to me that indicates a pretty low natural moisture content to begin with.

Pin Cherry has probably the most beautiful bark of any tree native to the northeast, and I would love to try it as a bark on project.  It looks similar to some asian ornamental cherrys, with bright red birch-like bark.  I used to make green stick bows with it when I was 8-9 years old.  The online information I found stated that it was weak wood, with no economic value.

Both trees are pioneer schrub species, rarely exceeding 6" diameter and viable log size trees just don't happen, so there isn't much info out there on mechanical properties.

Uh oh, just thought of another, how about Striped Maple (Acer pensylvanicum)?
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bow wood information?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:04:23 am »
Go for it.
I'd guess the Birch is the easier bet, they say most types of Birch are similar, and much like the other white woods.
I think the Cherry is better when backed...it is reputed to be a bit temperamental and easy to break, better in compression than tension.
I'm making a Cherry/Ash bow (should be real pretty), I'm working on the bad half of the cherry log at the mo' just to get a feel for it.
When in doudt, build 'em wide and flat.
Here's a link to a post on another site, 2nd post down I think.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6213/t/List-of-Potenial-Bow-Wood-Species-With-Comments.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jude

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:25:13 am »
Thanks Del,

Tim Baker modified the list somewhat, and included it in TBB4.  I just got my copy in the mail yesterday, and read his chapter last night.  It got me thinking, that the particular species I've been interested in trying were not included.  They are not nearly as widespread as more common birches, cherrys and maples, being more northeasterly in their distribution.  So, I put it out to the forum, to see if anyone has tried them.  Otherwise, I'll try them myself, and let you guys know how they come out. :)

Jude

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:29 am »
Haven't tried the birch or cherry, but I would suspect that they would be close in characteristics of other birches and cherries. You'll just have to try them and see. As for the striped maple, I built one good bow from it just as an experiment. I was pretty impressed with it for a light wood. I have been on the lookout for another good stave or two to see if the first one was a fluke. It's hard to find one here that's big and straight enough to make a bow from.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jude

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:17:25 am »
I've got a picture in my head of a good sized striped maple.   Whether it's still alive and where I left it nearly 20 years ago, is the question.  I've got to get back to the farm one of these days, and do some wandering about the woods.