Author Topic: Advise on Cleaning rawhide for Snakeskins  (Read 2052 times)

Offline bigcountry

Advise on Cleaning rawhide for Snakeskins
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:12 am »
I am finishing up a bow for my wife.  Its osage with thin deer rawhide on the back.  During tillering and handling, the rawhide is little dirty.  Osage dust seems to be all over it. 

How should I clean it to get to the next step of snake skinning?  Thinking of damp towel
Westminster, MD

Offline Dano

Re: Advise on Cleaning rawhide for Snakeskins
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:51:26 am »
A damp towel will be just fine.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:28 am »
If you have been handling it the grease from your hands should be removed too. I would brush it off first with a stiff brush to remove most of the sawdust then wipe it down with acetone or alcohol. What glue did you use for the rawhide?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:35 am »
If you have been handling it the grease from your hands should be removed too. I would brush it off first with a stiff brush to remove most of the sawdust then wipe it down with acetone or alcohol. What glue did you use for the rawhide?

I used TBIII
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:29 am »
Try the solvent(acetone or alcohol) in an area that is not critical to see if they are compatible.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:36:47 pm »
Try the solvent(acetone or alcohol) in an area that is not critical to see if they are compatible.

Thanks, might try soapy water first.

This isn't like the real smooth cow rawhide you see.  Its feels real soft and has a pure white appearance.  Kinda like it would soak up moisture.  It came off a first year deer.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »
You should wet it first before gluing on the snake skin anyway so the rawhide will accept the glue so a mild soap and water should work fine.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:39:59 pm »
All the yearling deer raw hide I have glued on was like thick  parchment paper  being I had processed it myself and all the scraping and stretching  had removed quit a bit of the oils present in the deer skin never had a soft piece of rawhide. After the rehydration and glue up the hide turns a transparent amber when dry that some times you can see the woods grain threw sometimes not. All I do is wipe it with a damp rag after it has dried for a couple  days and soak my skins and smooth them on with tight bond and line up the skins pattern and let it set up for a little while and come back and check while the glue is still loose and make adjustments if you need to just don't go pulling and tugging to hard, snake ain't hard to rip it trims up so easy and looks so good I just wish I had a place to get my own rattlers for free.