Author Topic: First osage  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: First osage
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:42:25 am »
Yep, top limb is hinged about a foot out of the fade and doesn't bend much for the last 18". The bottom limb looks much better but could need a little more from the big knot out a few inches.

If you checked your limbs with a tillering gizmo it would be an eye opener.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »
Got your serious weapon bookmarked for Jan Self BOM. Let me know if you repost it with more work (stain, etc.)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Dano

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:29 pm »
I'm not see'in any hinge, looks great to me. It's like Pappy said, with a big knot you may want to leave it a little stiff there. Keep up the good work.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 09:04:53 pm »
I scraped a little to get a little more bend in the tips, going to leave it alone from here doing the finish work will post picks when done. Thanks for all the comments, Eric.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:51:36 pm »
See how it shoots. It's hard to gauge the tiller on a character bow with just your eyes.  Have to use other senses too.  Is it balanced when you draw  or tippy? How's it sound when you release the arrow? Is it silent? Is it shocky? Looks well tillered to me. I see stiff spots but you have to leave knots a little stiff or they'll do funky things. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 12:13:43 am »
On second thought and "look", I think hinge is much too harsh a word for your upper limb tiller. Bending a little too much is a more proper evaluation.

I had a similar situation on a BBO I made a few months ago. I strung the bow for the first time, noticed a hingy place out of the fade. I should have immediately unstrung the bow but left it strung for a while. By the time I unstrung the bow I knew I had goofed up. My 60# bow became a 45# bow while working out the hinge a i didn't have it completely corrected. Off to the failure pile it went.

Not one to be defeated, I pulled the bow out of the failure pile a a week ago, cut all the osage off the belly except an 1/8" strip, glued a new piece of osage on and started over.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »
I don't see any Hinges either....but I do see a lot of wood that isn't bending too...but then I can not see the Knots in them Limbs that will create the Stiff Spots....but it does for sure look like the Top Limb should bend some more to me....really nice Bow....and if it shhots gtreat....then by all means Shoot it!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome