Author Topic: shooting in  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Frode

shooting in
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:53:59 pm »
Hi all,
I recently ran across a bowyer's website (lost it now and don't recall who it was) in which it was stated that all bows were shipped "fully shot in" (or maybe it was "fully shot out".  They say your memory is the second thing to go).  I assume that means shot enough times to ensure that everything works as it should, but how much would you say that is?  Especially if the bow is destined for someone else.
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Badger

Re: shooting in
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »
     It really depends a lot on the bowyer. I like to figure couple 100 arrows and the bow is shot in. If he has shot at least about 3 dozen arrows it should be pretty well stableized at that particular humidity. They shouldn't change too much from what they came off the tillering tree unless the moisture goes up. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:01:43 pm »
Frode, I like to shoot a bow 100 times or more  before handing it of to someone else. Generally after 100 shots the bow will be stable weight wise and any problems sould have raised their ugly heads...but this is not always the case.  My hunting bow, "Shere Khan" broke(exploded  :o ) unexpectedly after over 1000 shots so there is no guarantee with wood bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 04:33:32 pm »
I've seen the tiller wrecked after only a dozen shots through a newly "shot-in" bow and many tillers wrecked on seasoned/proven bows by the uninitiated. All because they failed to properly grip the bow for the way it was designed. So that claim of being fully "shot-in" would only apply to the fellow that shot the bow in. ART

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:52:14 pm »
With all wood bows, I usually shoot it at least 100 times before I hand it over. But, like Pat said, there are no guarantees!

Offline Frode

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 06:23:09 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:40:32 am »
Hmmm,
I've never noticed a bow shift much after having the first few arrows through it, but maybe that's I'd still be adjusting it and fettling/finishing etc for a while.
By the time I say it's finished it's probably had a couple of dozen and plenty of exercising.
Maybe a suplementary question is, how far do you draw test a bow to?
If it's for 28" draw I'd take it to 29" for most designs, for a self Yew longbow I know it will go further, but wouldn't take it there untill it had been thoroughly broken it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:02 am »
I shoot my bows 2 to 3 dozen times and then put the finish on.  But I use a rope and pulley so my bows have been drawn  at full and partial draws quite a few times while being built. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Frode

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:49:34 am »
Thanks Del and George,
Looking back, that seems to pretty much describe how my very first bow has behaved, nor really any change after exercising and the first couple of dozen or so arrows.
Frode

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:18:01 pm »
    I shoot around a 100 or so arrows in my selfbows.More if I really like it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline hntr

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:31:29 pm »

Not supposed to apply finish until after being shot in??

I thought that was just the point at which you will not lose any more weight.

Now when considering exercising the limbs how far of a draw would be considering exercising and at what length draw does it become "shooting in."

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »
The purpose of the shooting in period is to see how the bow behaves when shot and to see if any adjustments need to be made.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!