Author Topic: set question  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Frode

set question
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:29:08 pm »
Hi all,
I see that my first three bows all have between 1" and 2" of set (string follow?) per side.  All are board bows, two in maple with lesser amounts and one in red oak with the most amount of set.  I've exercised all these boards after each removal of material and short drawn them many times leading up to full draw.
I notice many of the stave bows here seem very straight unstrung.  Does the difference have something to do with my novice tillering, or is there something about boards versus staves that explains it?  All three seem to shoot fine, and the amount of set doesn't seem to increase or decrease by any visible amount.  Just curious.
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: set question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »
Frode, As George says..."set happens"!!!  ;D One to 2 inches of set is not bad and is quite common with most wood bows.The reason some of the stave bows don't seem to have any set is because they have reflex added while straightening and some have tempered bellies as well. This can be done with board bows also.
  Any wood bow is going to have some set just because they are natural materials and the compression stresses of making a bow cause the belly cells to collapse or become malformed somewhat. If you get 3" to 4" or more of set then you might be causing it while building the bow but 2" isn't bad at all and will make for a sweeter shooting bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 03:57:51 pm »
I second what Pat said.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »
i'll 3rd what at said

as george is known to say, "set happens"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 05:29:58 pm »
Actually what we're talking about here is "string follow"   In your bows it's the same as 'set", since you started with a straight stave/ board.  All bows take some set and as everyone else pointed out 1-2"  shows care in tillering and makes for a sweet bow.   If you want a bow with no string follow, just steam two inches of reflex into your stave before tillering ( or induce reflex while heat treating, or ....).   The  bow will take some set , but wind up with near zero string follow.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline sulphur

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »
the only way to lessen set or string follow is to start out with a reflexed stave.  osage is great about resisting string follow, everything else gets so so results.  heat in a little reflex (2-3") before you start to tiller and that should help.

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 06:27:17 pm »
Thank you, everyone, my education continues!  Good to know it's not a problem, and even beneficial!  :D
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline daryush

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:12:00 pm »
This is going to sound silly, but what's the difference between set and string follow?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 09:40:47 pm »
string follow-the amount the bows stays bent for a short time after it is unbraced

set-the amount the wood stays bentafter the bow is finished

so if you start with a piece of wood that i perfectly straight and make a bow.when the bow id finished and the wood is
no longer flat but is bent towards the belly,lets say one inch,that would be set.now lets say you string the bow and shoot it some and unbrace it
and the limbs are bent towards the belly,lets say 2" from flat,and after short time of being unbraced it settles back to 1".
then you have 1" of set and 1" of follow.
atleast thats the best i can explain it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline shamus

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 10:43:35 am »
2" or less of string follow is perfectly normal for a properly tillered, straight staved selfbow. It means you're doing it right. Don't sweat it.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 11:33:00 am »
Tim....I don't think it could be explained any simpler than That....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome