Author Topic: Ginko bow wood?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Ginko bow wood?
« on: December 23, 2009, 05:14:17 am »
Well since I have bow fever and and I am a landscaper I am constantly looking around at every tree and wooded area for potential staves.

There are a couple pretty good sized ginko trees at a couple houses I work at...one is a male and the other is a female.

I saw a couple 2-3 inch limbs I may be able to cut down and try to shape a bow out of.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a bow being made from this wood??

Maybe a sinew backed compression wood.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Ginko bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:01:49 am »
I say give it a try,if its free,then by all means. Ive seen some nice bows made from wood I didnt think could be so.... Do it and share the knowledge. ;D
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:29:02 am »
Well I have been doing a little studying on this. I can't seem to find anything that hints at the fact that it would make good bow wood. Ginkgo is described as being a light, fine grained , yellowish, flexible wood. It has been used to make cutting boards, rice bowls, ornate carvings, etc. No mention of bows or it's abilty to withstand stresses. However It has been planted near temples to protect them from fire. It is naturally insect resistant. It is believed to have natural fire supression qualities. It holds up to ice and snow. (I can attest to the fact that my neighbor's tree has never shed a broken branch) This is in addition to all of it's medicinal qualities. It was the one species of tree that withstood the atomic bomb at Hiroshima, then recovered and thrived! Surviving trees from that horrific event are still around today!

That said, I would split some, dry it out until it stops losing weight, then see how it holds up to bow work!

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:55:39 pm »
sweet...i'll give it a try...as for now.

To be continued

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 12:49:18 am »
well if it can take the stress of ice and snow and even a nuc blast
i would think that it should work with the right design parameters
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd