Author Topic: Black walnut  (Read 2796 times)

Offline huntersteve

Black walnut
« on: December 12, 2009, 04:46:30 pm »
I was just wondering if black walnut would be a good wood to use....I have a 12-14" log from a tree that i cut down in my yard....I am getting ready to split it into staves if this is a decent wood to use.....If so....are there any particulars in type and/or length of bow
that it should be used in.....any info would be appreciated...Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black walnut
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »
Steve, you can make a bow with BW but there are better choices. I have made a few that worked out fine and a few that fretted pretty badly. If you use Paul Comstock's overbuilt bow design you should be fine.
  How long has the log been down? How has it been stored?  Usually you would use the sapwood right under the bark for the bow. I did make a hickory backed BW heartwood ELB but it fretted. BW heartwood might be a good candidate for silk, rawhide or linen backing to help with the tension.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:34:12 pm »
Thanks Pat...the log has actually been cut for awhile....I'll have to check it out for insect damage i'm sure...I was going
to split it up and see what kind of shape the wood is in.....I'm really just tinkering with the idea of trying some different woods...
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:38:46 pm »
If it has been laying around on the ground you may want to stick with the heartwood. The sapwood can begin to decay pretty fast. If you use the heartwood, back it with something..silk, rawhide, etc.
  If the log is big enough have it sawn into lumber and make a nice bow and arrow rack.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:43:50 pm »
I'll go ahead and split it and see if I have anything to work with...Thanks again...Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 08:33:59 pm »
Black walnut is a great bow wood in my opinion. I made on a while ago turned out great, Beautiful wood and pretty easy to work. Mine was also all heartwood.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13916.0.html
SW Utah

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:34:46 am »
do you need to remove the sapwood on walnut
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »
No you don't have to remove the whitewood.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:00:10 pm »
While I'm not one to make self bows from it, it makes great laminations for limbs. I made a couple of BBOs that had a full length walnut lam between the boo and the core/belly wood. Snapy shooting bows!

half eye

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:11:40 pm »
Have to agree with Jmilbrandt, built several, both short bows and Mollegabets, turned out very well, strong and smooth shooters. I do make mine differently (fully quartersawn splits w/ vertical grain) and no backing...so for whatever it's worth I think it will make a fine bow....if it's what you have for sure use it.
half eye

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 07:17:12 am »
Thanks for all the help....Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline dusty

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 03:12:41 pm »
I made a ELB out of a off cut of black walnut with some grain run off I backed mine with ash and it is one of the best shooters I have made NTN 74 inch 55lb at 30inch draw the bow is over a year old now and been shot a lot with no problem

Roger

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:30:52 pm »
Tip overlays and risers at least....too pretty to waist.

R.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »
I have had good luck with black walnut. The bow below has a propeller twist, but shoots very nice. I had to take it down about 10 growth rings to get past bug damage, but generally you use the sapwood as the back.

Chuck S.