Author Topic: hide glue and billit splices  (Read 2832 times)

Offline luke the drifter

hide glue and billit splices
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:33:15 pm »
is hide glue alright to bind two billits together?  if so, what ratio of water and glue would be acceptable? what about the idea of putting a dowel or some kind of pin through the splice for  extra strength? if this is acceptable, i would certainly seal the bow after reaching desired tiller to prevent moisture from causing the glue to come undone.

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
Re: hide glue and billit splices
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:09:16 pm »
in tbb (dont remember which one) I think it's john strunk that mentions that in the days when bowyers used hide glus to splice billets it was not rare to see archers going to their car after a day at the target butts with two half bows under their arm. They would glue them back up when they got home. Although it can be done with hide glue, I recommend using a weatherproof wood glue (tite bond 2, tb 3, Urac, Epoxy, etc) for a more permanent bond.

hope this helps
Quebec, Canada

radius

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »
ah, le mangeur du lard a retourne!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:12:15 pm »
Hide glue is certainly strong enough to hold two billets together as long as the joint stays dry. If it gets wet, game's over...
Gordon

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:52 pm »
I would use a modern glue to ,make the joint.
                                                   Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Shadow Walker

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:28:00 pm »
I have used hide glue on 4 different bows to splice billets, but have always used a glue on handle on the belly as well. I've never had a problem yet. In fact, I've never had a problem using hide glue on any part of bow construction. As long as your bow is sealed and you're not shooting it under water,it should be fine.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 01:27:29 pm »
Also, I wouldn't drill and pin it. I've tried that once, the bow broke through the middle of the dowels. I think it makes it weaker instead of stronger.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
Hide glue actually makes an good glue for this. It will not shrink in the joint like PVA glues.

Shannon, does that mean I shouldn't use it on my snorkeling bowfishing set up?  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Shadow Walker

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »
Hide glue actually makes an good glue for this. It will not shrink in the joint like PVA glues.

Shannon, does that mean I shouldn't use it on my snorkeling bowfishing set up?  ;)
You could try shrink wrapping it in saran wrap. Not sure that would pass as primitive though!

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:27:25 am »
hope your billet bow works out OK

haha yes Raduis I'm back
I'm away from home until Christmas and Internet acces is not always easy.

Matthieu
Quebec, Canada