Author Topic: starting an ELB osage tomorrow  (Read 2446 times)

Offline dismount

starting an ELB osage tomorrow
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:47:15 am »
Well I've never tried one, I need to bounce some questions of you guys.  Will the bow be slower if I make it around 76'' long? The problem is the rings are so micro thin, I think it will take the stress off the wood more. I know it will draw easier. I want to make the belly round and thought extra length will lessen string follow. If any one can give me their thoughts? I guess if it doesn't work I can cut it down to the old 66'' standard. Dismount

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: starting an ELB osage tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:50:05 am »
I made an osage ELB style bow a few years ago and it also had very thin rings. I believe it is 68" n/n with horn tips and pulls about 55#@28". If I remember correctly it has a few rings of sapwood on the back. I don't believe I have pics although it may have been an early BOM winner. Look it up. I gave it to Colene at the Tenn Classic a few years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:55:42 am »
There is no 'standard' make it the same height as you (plus maybe an inch max) I hate seeing overlength ELBs being drawn 28", they aren't doing enough work (just my opinion...but I am English ;D) and are barely bending.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:31:54 am »
i work with alot of osage with real thin rings, pain in the rear end to get to one growth ring but they aint let me down yet. i say make it whatever you want as long as it is one growth ring.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:50:44 am »
You can add a rawhide backing for insurance.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dismount

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:06 pm »
Thanks, all, I  will make it pretty long and shoot it and go from there. Pat, I think I will rawhide it if I cant follow a micro ring.  I'll try to see if I can haul it in the truck then roll the windows up if any is sticking out I'll keep hitting the window button till the extra pops off ;D ;D  dismount

Kirkll

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:19:18 am »
Thanks, all, I  will make it pretty long and shoot it and go from there. Pat, I think I will rawhide it if I cant follow a micro ring.  I'll try to see if I can haul it in the truck then roll the windows up if any is sticking out I'll keep hitting the window button till the extra pops off ;D ;D  dismount

"If any is sticking out the windoe, i'll keep hitting the window button till the extra pops off"   FOFLMAO!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! that is halarious!  :D :D :D

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:46 am »
Dismount, I don't think you mentioned the draw weight? I have had some real nice thin ringed osage elbs in the 60 and 65# weight class. Most of them were around 68" long. If you make them too long the handshock will be unbearable.

Offline dismount

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:50:46 am »
Badger, understood. I never thought about that. I just sorta wanted to try to make a big long bow, in the 50# range! So about a 72" would be O.K. for a 26-27'' draw? without hand shock???? That way I won't have to use my truck window to cut off x-tra. Dis.

Offline dismount

Re: starting an ELB osage tomorrow some pics
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:20:05 pm »
O.K. I've reduced the stave to about 1 1/4 wide at about 74'' 30 rings to the inch.(had to use magnifing glass). I chased a ring on the sap so I left 1/4 backing of sap wood on.I really don't know how to lay out the back, I don't know what dimesions. Should I go even width till mid limb and reduce, or taper from the handle to tip?????? dismount

[attachment deleted by admin]