Author Topic: TBB 3 composite sketching  (Read 2035 times)

Offline KShip85

TBB 3 composite sketching
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:39:57 pm »
Hey, just wondering if anyone has attempted to make the bow sketched on page 82 of Tbb3.  Been looking at it for awhile and it seems like it would be fun to try.  Nothing like a little hands on experience to learn a new facet of bow-making.  Any input on how to go about it would be great. Thanks for looking!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: TBB 3 composite sketching
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:34:02 am »
There was a posting I saw on atarn.org of a bow limb purchased from a junk dealer in China. It was quite ancient, but very close to that bow. wide but short bending portion made of horn strips. Sorry I dont know the exact place to find that post, but im sure you could find it on that sight with a little searching

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:51:05 pm »
It's on the contents guide under Gansu-Khotan. Grozer made a replica of the bow. It was nothing special but a good way of making use of limited materials.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:01 pm »
This ois the Khotan bow, and some pics of grozer's reconstruction. (From Atarn; hope that's okay to post those, if not just skip them mighty moderators...)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:51:43 pm »
Man that is a cool looking bow. I dont know how I missed that reading through tbb3.  I am gonna look that up right now. It would be interesting to hear about it if anyone has tried to build one.
Tell Riley