Author Topic: HHB  (Read 8590 times)

Offline Catahoula

Re: HHB
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »
Hi,

I got some wood several years ago down my road in the swamp...about 3 inches in diameter, heavy as heck, hard as dogwood, lots of growth rings and looked like it had muscles twirling around it...I was told it was iron wood.  Does this sound like it?  If so I am agoin' huntin' :)  (This wood is from the swamps of central SC)

Rand

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:07 pm »
cat could be american hornbeam

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:15 pm »
sulpher   
i think i know who he (who ever that is) is getting the hhb from here in mn.
its probably the same due i got my logs from,he told me he ships some to texas for a guy.

catahoula
that sounds like its muscle wood,a.k.a. iron wood

iron wood was a term given to several differant woods,all of which are hell to cut and give  a good saw a heck of a work out
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Kirkll

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 01:37:24 am »
Be sure you let the handle bend. Forget about 28 in. Tiller to 26 in. You may ease into 27" depending on tiller. No narrowed handle. No recurving or reflexing. 80# is asking a lot at 28 " for a 60" stave. Like I said, yo have 2 staves there if you rip it. Back it with silk, linen, burlap or rawhide. Above all have fun. L

Hey George, can i ask another silly question re your post here? ofr should i be doing this by pm?  newby that i am i'll ask now, pay later.....when you guys are refering to tillering for different draw lengths, does that mean you don't draw the bow on the tiller tree further than 26" ,"ease into 27".....i've come to think of tillering as the process of balancing the limbs building composite bows... is it different in self bows and board bows?

sory to "horn" in on your thread here. :-[     Kirk